Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 65

 

"What do you think of him," Ricky asked the other guys as they fixed supper.

 

"He seems nice enough. And he's not bossy," DJ replied.

 

"Sorta not. He did tell us who's going looking for more kids tomorrow, instead of asking us," Mace said.

 

"I guess."

 

"I don't think that's bossy." Sam chuckled. "Not like Gloria-bossy. He's just making the decisions he needs to, to get to know us better, as he said. He could have told us he was going to be the one looking for new kids."

 

"Lots of luck with that," Ricky said.

 

"And he probably knows it."

 

"True."

 

*****

 

"What do you think of Keith?" Jolie asked as she made the salad.

 

"He's cute," Dena replied.

 

"Handsome," Evie said, looking pointedly at Roma.

 

"Do not even go there," Roma retorted. "He seems to be a nice man, who knows what he's doing."

 

"And cute." Evie grinned at her.

 

Roma rolled her eyes. "Let's eat. We have to be back at the theater in half an hour."

 

*****

 

"You'll like working with them," Norm said to Keith. "They're good kids and very professional, for their age."

 

"Absolutely," Peg agreed. "They've been through a lot in their lives but it hasn't hardened them, if that makes sense."

 

Keith nodded. "It does. I suspect it was the music. They used it to stay alive, rather than selling drugs, or themselves."

 

"And now they're here, sharing it with everyone who comes to the theater," Norm said.

 

"Exactly."

 

Tuck suggested at that point that he and Keith should get something to eat, and fast, as they had to be back in less than an hour if Keith wanted to see the show from the beginning.

 

*****

 

"You did a great job with them and the show," Keith told Tuck as the curtain fell for the final time that night. "I hope I can do as well."

 

"Of course you can. It's what you're best at."

 

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." Keith grinned. "Of course, I'm going to have to deal with a stubborn actor who likes doing things his way, if I remember rightly."

 

"Oh? And just who would that be? Sam? Mace?"

 

Keith laughed. "Nope. One Tucker Williams."

 

"I resemble that description. Or I did, way back when. I've grown up since then and I'm  married to a man who would have my ass in a sling if I tried that now."

 

"Good. I'll keep that in mind when you start telling me how to do my job."

 

"Believe me, having had a taste of directing, I would never do that in a million years. I've learned it ain't easy."

 

As they bantered, they went back stage. Keith congratulated everyone on a job well done, then he and Tuck headed back to the city.

 

2 comments:

  1. Getting to see who is acting what part could come in handy for the next show. And the girls with Roma was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They want to play matchmaker. Good luck with that, I suspect. LOL

    ReplyDelete