Monday, October 12, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 64


Two days after the meeting, Tuck called another one. As everyone entered the auditorium, they saw Tuck wasn't alone. An older, dark-haired man sat next to him on the edge of the stage.

 

When everyone was seated, Tuck said, "I'd like you to meet Keith Harris."

 

"Good afternoon." Keith grinned. "I understand you all are going on strike if Tuck doesn't play Captain Hook. I'm here to keep that from happening. Tuck told me about the theater, and, to be honest, I was surprised. It's not something I would have thought of in a million years. But from what he said, it's working—and very well. So I'd like to be a part of it, at least for your next show."

 

"What are your creds?" Sam called out. It was obvious he was kidding, but Keith replied anyway.

 

"Tuck and I worked together at a local theater when he was in college. After he graduated, he came out here, but we still kept in touch. I've moved around, taking directing jobs at various small theaters." He smiled. "Before you wonder if I'm lousy at it, I'm not. I just have problems settling down in one place. Since I'm between jobs right now, when Tuck called, explaining what was going on, I told him I was interested—and here I am."

 

"You do know we're amateurs," DJ said.

 

"I prefer the term actors in the process of learning the craft. And, from what Tuck's said, you're dedicated to what you're doing." Keith looked at each one of them in turn. "Some of you will make it, some of you may not. Down the line you may decide there are other things you want to do with your lives. No matter what, I'm going to try to bring out the best in each of you, and in you as a group, to make Peter Pan as successful as Oliver!. Does that work for you?"

 

"It does," DJ replied.

 

"I might as well start learning names," Keith said. "You are?"

 

"DJ. I'm eighteen."

 

"Evie. I'm very close to being seventeen, so I'm going with that."

 

Keith laughed. "That works. Next."

 

They went down the row. "Sam. Nineteen." "Ricky. I'm eighteen." "Mace. Twenty."

 

"So you're the old man of the group?" Keith said.

 

"That would be me," Vin told him. "I'm the pianist, not an actor. I'm fifty-plus."

 

"And you?" Keith asked, looking at Roma.

 

"Roma. I'm thirty. I'm also a pianist, but more of a singer."

 

"She's great," Jolie said before introducing herself.

 

"And last but not least, I'm Dena. Also eighteen."

 

"It's nice to meet all of you."

 

"There's going to be a few more, if we can find them," Sam said.

 

"So Tuck told me. In all honesty, do you think that's going to be possible?"

 

"Yes," DJ replied. "It might take a few days, but we will."

 

Keith nodded. "If you don't mind, I'd like to break you into two groups—four of you to go out looking, while I get to know the other four. I'll be watching the show for the next couple of nights, but I'll also want to talk to you individually to find out your strengths and weaknesses."

 

"Oh, boy," Mace muttered.

 

"Stop doing that," Tuck told him. "You're just as good as everyone else, whether you believe it or not."

 

"I'm trying to be."

 

"You are. Deal," Dena said, patting his arm.

 

"She's right," Jolie said, squeezing his hand.

 

Keith asked Tuck, under his breath, "Are they both interested in him?"

 

"Hell if I know," Tuck replied quietly. "Looks like."

 

"Keith," Sam called out. "Are we going to have to audition for the parts? Tuck just assigned us our roles for Oliver!."

 

"That's one reason I want to get to know each of you better," Keith replied. "Once I have, I might do the same thing. It's not like there are a dozen of you competing for each role."

 

Ricky snorted. "More like, how many characters will each of us have to play, like we're doing in Oliver!."

 

"With luck, you won't have to do that if you can find four or five new kids with decent voices, to play pirates and Lost Boys."

 

"We'll try," Sam said. "Starting tomorrow."

 

"Perfect. Does anyone have any more questions?" Keith asked.

 

"How old are you?" Evie asked.

 

"Old enough to be—" Keith saw Tuck give a brief shake of his head. "To know better and young enough to do it anyway," Keith amended. "I'm thirty-seven."

 

"Ancient," Evie teased, taking a quick glance at Roma.

 

"Maybe from your perspective," Keith retorted. "I see myself as in my prime. And how did we get on this subject?"

 

"Because I asked," Evie pointed out.

 

Laughing, Keith told them that if there were no more questions, the meeting was over. "I'd like to talk to DJ, Evie, Dena, and Mace tomorrow morning in the lobby. The rest of you, hit the streets."

 

"How will we get there?" Sam asked.

 

"I'll pick you up," Tuck told him.

 

"Okay."

 

With that, the group disbanded. Tuck took Keith to meet Peg and Norm, who had shown up early expressly to meet him, while the cast returned to their cabins.

2 comments:

  1. Very good so happy we found someone. I wonder f he and Roma could be friends. Roma needs to see all men are not monsters. Or maybe it is Vin that shows her.

    ReplyDelete