Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 26


"Here's what I have so far," Tuck said, showing Brent the cast list. "Oliver, Nancy, Bet, Fagin, Dodger, Sikes, Bumble, and Mrs. Corney, the three Sowerberry's plus Noah Claypole, Brownlow, and Dr Grimwig, Mrs. Bedwin, and Old Sally, plus Fagin's kids."

"Which ones have to be done by adults?" Brent asked.

"Bumble, maybe, and Corney. Mr. and Mrs. Sowerberry. Brownlow and his housekeeper, the doctor, and old Sally."

"That's a pretty heavy load for just Andy and Fran." Brent looked at Tuck. "You're planning on being Fagin?"

"Nope. Not if I can help it. I decided I'd rather direct instead of act."

"Just when were you planning on telling me this?" Brent asked with some asperity.

"Tonight?" Tuck smiled contritely at his husband.

"You are something else." Brent rolled his eyes before giving Tuck a hug. "Okay, so that leaves you out. Who are you thinking of for Fagin and Sikes? Those are pretty heavy roles for teens."

"Sam for Fagin. I think he can carry it off. Sikes? It has to be Mace. He's got the build and the voice."

Brent nodded. "DJ as Oliver, I presume, considering he's the smallest boy. And Ricky as the Dodger. What about the women?"

"I want Roma for Nancy. I already told her that, and she didn't exactly balk at the idea. I think Evie would make a good Bet."

"Leaving Dena and Jolie." Brent looked at the list. "One of them can be Charlotte Sowerberry, but that leaves the other without a role."

"They can both play friends of Nancy's and part of Fagin's gang. There's nothing that says the kids have to be boys," Tuck replied.

"True. Just so neither of them get their feelings hurt, can the other one play Mrs. Sowerberry?"

Tuck nodded. "As far as that goes, they could do the housekeeper and Mrs. Corney, too, with makeup."

"Are we asking too much of them? None of the kids have acted before."

Tuck blew out a deep breath. "I don't know. I hope not. They want it to happen, and it's not like we're planning on opening next week. We won't open until we all think we're ready. All of us, not just you and me."

2 comments:

  1. I am thinking the play is gonna be fun and amazing. I have gone to some because I son Logan was in drama in high school. He played the Grinch one year and you should have heard all the little kids yell NNOOOOO when he said there will be no Christmas this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wonderful story. I can just imagine their reaction. LOL

      Delete