Sunday, July 12, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 18


"I've got one definite and four possibles," Tuck told Brent over dinner that evening.

"Not bad for the first day. We may have a costumer and a designer-slash-tech person."

"Any one I know?"

"You probably know Norm, right? He works as assistant tech at the theater. When I told him what we were planning, he asked if he could be involved both as tech supervisor and the scene designer." Brent grinned. "I jumped on the chance to hire him, so all he has to do is tender his resignation. Barring any problems with that, he's ours."

"Great. And the costumer?"

"I visited the theater department at the college to talk to a couple of the professors. One of them recommended a girl—well, a woman. She's twenty-four. Her name is Peg Quinlan and she's working on her MFA in costume design. When I spoke with her, she said that she's very interested. She just has to figure out how she'll work it in and go to class."

"Two down and a billion to go. Norm's going to need a crew. So is Peg. And we'll need someone to do lighting, people for the box office, ushers."

"One thing at a time," Brent replied. "Norm may know a lighting man. I'll ask him. Maybe…" He looked at his husband. "We're doing this for the kids. What do you want to bet there are guys out there who know the difference between a hammer and a screwdriver?"

Tuck chuckled. "No bet. I'll put out feelers, once we get our cast together."

"And I'll see if Peg knows any underclassmen who might be interested in helping her. I've yet to hear of a college student who didn't need to earn a few extra bucks."

"We'd better hope this all works and people come to see the shows. Otherwise, we may be joining the kids on the street."

Brent took Tuck's hand, giving it a squeeze. "Oh, ye of little faith. It's going to be great.

"We might not become millionaires, but then, we aren't now, so we won't know what we might be missing."

"I'll remember that when I have to sell the Ferrari to pay the bills."

"You don't own a Ferrari."

"There is that."

5 comments:

  1. Lol! Sounds like they are working hard to figure everything out. I bet some of the kids can help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the talking and planning... that is how a couple dreams and makes them come true! Lots of opportunity for the kids to learn so much.

    ReplyDelete