Sunday, July 26, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 25


"We'll have beds and furniture for them by the time we get them out there" Brent said as he and Tuck walked back to their cars. "I even remembered to get sheets and towels. Norm wanted to take another look at the stage and the shop, so I asked him if he'd mind accepting the delivery from the furniture company at the same time."

"One less thing to worry about."

Brent snorted. "I'm sure by the time he's finished, he'll have a list a mile long of what he needs to furnish the shop. And Peg reminded me when I talked to her this morning that it might be nice if she had supplies, including a couple of sewing machines."

"Yeah." Tuck sighed, although he wasn't really unhappy. "Who knew this was going to turn into such a huge project?"

"Me?" Brent chuckled, giving Tuck a hug. "How many more cast members will you need?"

"A couple to play the grownups, to start with. I was talking about it with Andy and Fran Rogers." He winced, not quite looking at Brent. "I forgot to tell you."

"I'd say so. And?"

"And our show closes this weekend, so they're available. They said they'd love to be involved, and they're even willing to do it for free."

"Seriously?"

"That's what they said. So, with them, if we double and triple cast them, we should be okay on the adult roles. As soon as I get home tonight, I'll go over the cast list again and figure out what other holes need filling."

"And pray the kids we have now will all work out." Brent said.

"There is that. Damn."

"What now?"

"We have to grocery shop, at least for the essentials, and things like soap and shampoo. We can't expect the kids to live on air."

"Let's do that now." Brent checked his phone. "We've got time before you're due at the theater."

"All I can say is, thank God the show closes this weekend. I feel like I'm being pulled in ten different directions."

Brent wrapped him in a tight embrace, saying, "You will survive. We both will."

They kissed, then Tuck said, "It's going to be worth it."

"Going to be? It already is. Meeting the kids just reinforced it. Now, let's go shopping—again."

4 comments: