Saturday, March 16, 2019

Safe Harbor - 20


Kurt took a deep breath as he moved to close the space between them. Bobby backed away with a shake of his head. "I don’t need a hug and nice words, Father."

"Wasn’t quite planning on that. Okay the hug, yes. I’m not certain there are any nice words I can offer after what you just told me." He smiled tightly. "I have a few very choice words for that bastard, most of them ones I’m not supposed to know and for damned sure shouldn’t say out loud. And one question which you don’t have to answer. Why didn’t you go to the police?"

Bobby snorted. "You know the three men I told you about? One of them was the esteemed police chief of our little town."

"Where the hell was this, the backwoods of the Ozarks?"

"Pretty much, yeah." Bobby paused, walked to one of the sofas and sank down on it. "Maybe I will crash here after all, but just for what’s left of tonight. All this," he looked up at Kurt and chuckled though his eyes were still filled with pain. "All this true confessions can wear a guy out."

"It can, but in the end it can also be liberating. I’d bet my bottom dollar this is the first time you’ve ever told anyone your story."

"Yeah, well it’s not exactly something I get off on remembering. Besides talking about it doesn’t change anything, so better to forget and move on."

Kurt sat down beside him. "Not true. I could whip out a lot of platitudes. Ones about how it made you a better, stronger, more understanding man because you get that we don’t live in some bright-eyed fairy tale where ogres get slain and the prince saves the world and rides off to a happily ever after." He patted Bobby’s knee. "And to an extent it’s true. You’ve seen evil and you still do, and you try to protect the kids from it as much as you’re able."

"So do you, Father."

"Bobby, look, could you drop the ‘Father’ thing. My name is Kurt and I’d really like it if you’d call me that."

"I do! Sometimes."

"No. When you use my name, which is rarely, it’s always ‘Father’ Kurt. Drop the title and try to pretend I’m just another male and a friend." When Bobby nodded slowly Kurt smiled. "Thanks. Now back to what I was saying. Yes, I do my best to help and protect the kids as much as possible. But you’re in a unique position because you’re one of them and I’ve seen you use that very effectively. You understand why they’re on the streets and what they’re going through on a gut level, which is something I’ll never be able to do no matter how hard I try."

"So…yeah I guess maybe you’re right." Bobby chuckled low. "You trying to recruit me to work here, Fa…, umm Kurt?"

"If I thought I could you’re damned right I would," Kurt told him emphatically.

"No shit?"

"No shit. But I’m not trying it right this second. You might say yes because you’re too tired to resist."

8 comments:

  1. Lol. He doesn’t believe his luck maybe. And he and Kurt could do some good for the street kids and adults maybe. A team doing it together is better than one person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very definitely. We'll see if that's how it plays out.

      Delete
  2. Is he good at the spray paint thing? I wonder if he could do canvas spray art to sell. I wonder if Kurt ever thought of Bobby before the detective said anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a good graffiti artist. I suspect that Kurt was well aware of him as a male before the detective said something, but kept it to himself. Something we may never find out. LOL

      Delete
  3. You are so wrong sometimes... but I am such a with stalker with your blog! Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably know the story, so far, better than I do. LMAO

      Delete
  4. These two together would be great.

    ReplyDelete