Friday, February 8, 2019

Safe Harbor - 2


Kurt Straub looked up from the paperwork, which had him ready to swear in frustration, and smiled when he saw the young man standing a bit hesitantly in the office doorway. "Here comes trouble in the flesh. Hey Prizm."

"Aww, Father Kurt, I’m not that bad am I?" Bobby grinned a bit, sitting in one of the chairs across from the Father when Kurt pointed to it, dropping his backpack on the floor as he did.

"You have had your moments, and what happened to getting your hair cut like you promised."

Bobby shrugged. "I don’t seem to have the time."

"Bobby." Kurt’s tone was admonishing but only slightly as he used his real name now, not his street one. "So, to what do I owe this visit?"

Bobby ran a hand through his too long, dark hair. "I saw something last night and I don’t know what to do about it."

"Tell me."

"Well…I was up on the roof above Marston’s Grocery getting ready to crash. Then I heard voices in the alley." Bobby went on to tell Kurt what had happened. "When they drove off I got a bit of the license number." He dug in his pocket and handed Kurt the slip of paper.

Kurt frowned deeply. "My first question is, are you sure they were police?"

"Yeah, they were in blues with all the crap on their belts. Hell they cuffed the two kids, the boy even before he had to suck one of them off." 

"Did you recognize either of the kids?"

"Yeah, I’ve been trying to think of their names. The guy’s street name is Scooter. The girl, umm…" Bobby snapped his fingers, "Minnie, yeah, because she’s so mousy."

Kurt sighed. "I know them both. They were staying here up until a couple of days ago."

"Here at the Harbor? Scooter doesn’t do that from what I’ve heard."

Kurt chuckled. "Given the weather last week I’m surprised you weren’t here."

"You know me. I don’t like…"  Bobby’s voice trailed off.

"People, a real bed, haircuts."

"All that, yeah. Got enough of it in Juvie. I’ll stick to the street. I got good places when I need them. And can we quit with this talk. How are we going to, well is there something you can do about those cops?"

"I’ve got a few contacts. I can see if this…" he tapped the scrap of paper, "is part of a plate number for an unmarked police car. If it is, why would two street cops be using it?" Kurt added almost to himself. "I can also find out if Scooter and Minnie were arrested or if they were just dumped somewhere else with the fear of retribution beaten into them if they said anything to anyone."

"Who would they tell? It would be like me walking into the cop shop and reporting what I saw. No way in hell would any of them believe me and I’d end up being hassled every time one of them saw me after that."

Kurt nodded. "Unfortunately I suspect you’re right. Let me send out a few feelers and see what I come up with." He smiled slightly, fingering the collar on his shirt. "This gives me ins a lot of other people don’t have."

"Okay, thanks, Father. At least now I can stop worrying and get back to living."

If you can call it living.  Kurt shook his head as he watched Bobby sling his pack over his shoulder and walk out of the office.

4 comments:

  1. He’s a good coming up adult. Just having a bad start into it. This is gonna get interesting and I’m gonna have to yell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to have to yell, huh? Okay, if you insist.

      Delete
  2. Wow, he sounds like a wonderful young man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's probably better than people who see him living on the streets would think.

      Delete