Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The Hotel - 19


The mood was somber when the rehearsal was over and everyone had changed out of their costumes. There was none of the normal elation because it had gone well—which it had.

Instead—with the exception of Phil and Noah, who must have decided they had no reason to worry about each other, given that women were not their thing—everyone else seemed to want to put as much distance as possible between themselves and the other members of the troupe. Even Jenn and Kirby had headed upstairs separately.

"This isn't good," Edwin said when I ran into him in the entry hall. "They're acting as if we think one of them killed Tessa." He smiled grimly. "Which we do, at this point."

"I know." I sighed. "We have to find her and hope she's alive, although I suspect the chances she is are slim, given the weather."

"My men are still out there," he said. "They've gone around the lake twice already, and have done a preliminary search of the forest despite the storm."

"They'd have to stumble over her."

"They're good at what they do, Austin. If she's out there, they will find her."

I had a sudden thought, surprised that it hadn't occurred to me before now. "What if she ran into a wolf?"

"That's very unlikely. Wolves keep their distance from humans unless they feel threatened."

"Okay, I'll take your word for it."

He smiled. "I have lived here long enough to know what I'm talking about." He started toward the stairs then turned, asking, "Do you think everyone will come down for dinner?"

"I don't think they have much choice, since you don't offer room service."

"We could this evening, if you decide it would be wiser. The maids are still here, because of weather. They could take orders then deliver the food to the rooms."

I thought for a moment before shaking my head. "All that would accomplish is to make everyone even more aware there could be a killer in the group. We're a team. We have to act like one."

I began to wonder if I'd made the right decision when people began trickling into the dining room half an hour later. Rather than taking seats at the communal table we'd been using, they chose smaller tables, sitting alone with the exception of Phil and Noah. Even though I wasn't too surprised, it pissed me off and I let them know it.

"I have something to say and I want you to listen." When they looked at me I continued. "We've been together as a group for several years. We're friends as well as co-workers. Yes, the idea one of us might, and I'm stressing might be responsible for Tessa's disappearance, is upsetting. I get that. Pulling apart is not going to solve the problem. We need each other, now more than ever."

I looked at them, one at a time. "Tessa was no angel, we all know that, but then none of us are. We've had our differences over the years but we've always resolved them. Stop acting like one of us could be a deranged killer. Unless, of course," I added, "you have a valid reason to suspect someone."

I saw Ramsey open his mouth as if to reply before he shook his head. I had the feeling he'd wanted to say something about overhearing the argument between Jenn and Tessa, and had thought better of it. Everyone else remained silent.

Then Marsh stood, coming over to the communal table. A moment later, Ramsey and Caitlin joined him, followed by Phil and Noah. Jenn glanced at Kirby, who was sitting two tables away from her. He hesitated before standing. Going to her, he held out his hand. She took it and together they joined us.

"All for one, and one for all," Noah said, getting smiles or brief laughs in reply.

I gave a silent sigh of relief. Yes, they were still tense, but we were back together again as a team—for now at least.

3 comments:

  1. lol love it. you just never know who you may be in bed with! I enjoyed how Austin took care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He does have a vested interest in not letting the troupe fall apart if he can help it.

      Delete
  2. He is great. Good for him for speaking up.

    ReplyDelete