Sunday, November 4, 2018

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 23


"Whew." Mike blew out a long breath. "I guess that's what we wanted but damn. At least Massey kept Dizzy out of it."
"True, which does mean Keefe probably won't go after him. Instead it puts you squarely in Keefe's sights now." Paddy gripped Mike's shoulder, asking "Are you all right?"
"Scared as hell, but yeah, I guess I am." He smiled slightly. "Well, other than the fact that I want to go bury my head under the covers and not come out until the cops find Mr. Keefe."
"Unless they get real lucky and someone does call with information, that's not going to happen if you hide out here."
"I know." Mick looked at Paddy, shaking his head. "At least I have you for moral support, and protection."
"That you do." Paddy realized he was still holding Mike's shoulder and somewhat reluctantly pulled his hand away.
Mike chewed his lip. "What if Keefe decides to track me down here at the apartment, now that he knows who I am?"
"That's why I'm here," Paddy replied.
"Okay. True." Mike smiled slightly. "And since I'm on the third floor he can't really come in through a window. Right?"
"Not unless he's Spiderman," Paddy agreed.
"Who knows? He could be. He decided he was tired of being a do-gooder and that crime paid better."
"Uh-huh. If that were the case then his Spidey senses would have let him know the first time he saw you that you were the person he was hunting and we'd never have met because you'd be dead."
"That's a horrible thought."
"You're being dead? Yeah."
"No, that we wouldn't have met. I would have missed making a new friend whose company I happen to like."
Paddy chuckled. "Isn't that what friendship is? Liking someone enough to want them around?"
"Yes. And I'm glad that I met you even if you are, umm…" Mike seemed at a loss for how to describe him.
"Old?" Paddy cocked an eyebrow.
"Yes. No! No, you're not old you're just…"
"Not nearly as young as you."
"Right, and there's nothing wrong with that. You're world-wise."
Paddy laughed. "Meaning I've been around the block more than a few times."
"Well—yeah. I guess." Mike eyed him for a moment then blurted out, "Why do you wear your hair so long? Okay, that was probably not something I should ask."
"Why not? It's a legitimate question. To answer it honestly, it reminds me of my heritage. I grew up being taught we Irish are more than fine musicians and”—Paddy grinned—"prolific drinkers. We are laoch. Warriors who stand strong for what we believe."
"If you let it hang free I bet you'd really look like a laoch. Did I say that right?"
"You did." Impulsively, Paddy undid the clasp holding back his hair. He shook his head, his hair flying out like red flames before it settled again.
"Oh yeah," Mike said in awe. "Definitely a laoch. Give you a sword and a shield and you could take on anyone."
"Who knows," Paddy replied with a bit of a grin. "Perhaps in a past life I had them and helped defend Ireland against foreign invaders." In truth he had, and he'd died in the process. Not that he was about say that to Mike.
"And now you're defending me."
"Going to do my damnedest to." Paddy finished the last bite of his hamburger. "That was good."
"Do you want another?" Mike grinned. "After all, laoch have to keep up their strength."
Paddy snorted. "I'm heading to bed in a few minutes. I hardly think I need strength for that."
"Unless… Umm… Good point." Mike looked flustered as he got up and began clearing the table.
Paddy was very tempted to take a quick look at the young man's thoughts to see what had caused his sudden discomposure. But do I really want to know? If it's what I think… No, that's unlikely. He sees me as his protector and nothing more, which is a damned good thing. He watched as Mike hurried to the kitchen with the dishes, admiring for a moment the grace of his movements. Frustrating right now, but yeah, better it remains just that. 

2 comments:

  1. I bet his hair looked like flames being whipped around. awesome.
    An angel and a mortal could happen...lol
    Love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or not. I don't think it's allowed, but we'll see.

      Delete