Saturday, November 10, 2018

The Hotel - 10


Felicia returned to the reservations desk and I took that as my cue to leave. The elevator was on the third floor according to the light above the door, so I decided to take the stairs instead.

I was about to step into the hallway when I heard someone talking. It was Jenn and she sounded upset so I stayed where I was.

"I don't care," she was saying. "He's not interested in you, so quit trying to…"

"He would be, if it wasn't for you," Tessa replied. "He used to be, before you stepped in and took him away from me."

"That's not true," Jenn retorted. "He told me he saw you as a friend and nothing more."

"He was lying." There was a brief pause before Tessa said mockingly, "Ask him about the night he and I went to a club and then he took me home and to bed."

There was a pregnant pause. "I don't believe you!"

"Ask him," Tessa retorted.

I heard footsteps approaching and ducked deeper into the shadows at the top of the stairs just in time to see Tessa walk by, a self-satisfied smile on her face. A door closed seconds later and I knew Jenn had gone into her room—or Kirby's.

"Well, that was unpleasant," I said under my breath. I hoped Tessa would regret her words and apologize to Jenn. Otherwise things could get really strained between them, which would make the rest of our time here unpleasant. As far as I knew, Tessa and Kirby had never been more than casual friends, just as Jenn had said. He'd certainly never acted as if there was something going on with Tessa, although there were a couple of times when I'd thought she wanted there to be, especially after Jenn entered the picture.

I remembered a quote by someone that said jealousy was love and hate at the same time. In Tessa's case it was probably true. She thought she loved Kirby, and it sure sounded like she hated Jenn.

"Problems?" Ramsey asked, coming out of his room as I was walking by.

I shook my head. "Nothing I can do anything about."

He laughed. "Meaning yes, and you're damned if you'll tell me."

"That, too."

"I bet I know what, though. Tessa, right? I heard her talking to Jenn just now. If that's it, you're right. There's not a damned thing any of us can do but hope she comes to her senses. Anyway, I'm going to check out the smaller lounge. Felicia said there are books and a bunch of movies on DVD for the use of the guests. Want to join me?"

"Sure, why not. I'm not in the mood for exploring the great outdoors at the moment."

"Me neither. I might get lost and miss dinner." He laughed uproariously at what was the perpetual joke about his eating habits.

We did as he'd suggested, and we didn't miss dinner.

7 comments:

  1. they are adults and try and act professional during their play. But behind the curtains it could be a cat fight all the way. Or take to bed might mean she was too drunk and they just fell asleep with nothing happening. women are very spiteful with each other if they want something you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I suspect doubly true in Tessa's case, which could make for an interesting few days.

      Delete
  2. I want Austin and Edwin to get together I have a feeling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, snow could prolong their stay, which might result in Austin and Edwin becoming more than possible friends.

      Delete
  3. Snow and a triangle. Intriguing

    ReplyDelete