Sunday, November 11, 2018

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 24


If he hadn't let his hair down… Mike stared at the sink full of dirty dishes but he was seeing Paddy, his long red hair hanging to his waist, imagining him bare-chested as he charged into battle with only his sword and shield and his courage to protect him.
Shaking his head, he brought his mind back to what he was doing, which was washing dishes. Not half as interesting as what I could be doing if I just had the nerve to say something. But I don't, and I won't, though it could be just what I need to take my mind off of Mr. Keefe and…and everything. But that would just be using Paddy which wouldn't be fair to him. I mean it wouldn't be…would it? I like him, but not like that. I don't think.
He put the last dish in the drainer and realized he'd washed them all by instinct while his mind had been elsewhere. Then he shivered. It's what's going on that makes him interesting. Nothing more. I'm scared, he's here, he's kind and… Mike sighed. And damned sexy with his hair down like that. I wonder if he really does have a warrior's body. But I'm not going to try to find out.
He jumped when he heard Paddy say, "Daydreaming?" and turned to look at him. He'd pulled his hair back into its clasp and now stood, framed in the archway, with a smile on his face.
"Yeah, I guess," Mike replied. Damned sexy now, too. Okay, enough!  "More like I'm half asleep I think."
"Then let's get to bed. We could have an interesting day ahead of us. Or two or three, depending on how soon Keefe makes his move."
"You think it could take that long?" Mike asked, following Paddy into the living room.
"Hard to tell. He has to come up with a safe way to get at you."
Mike winced. "So I'll be looking over my shoulder until he does."
Paddy chuckled. "If you do, you'll see me, since I have your back as they say."
"Not funny," Mike grumbled. But he did smile. "All right. I'll see you in the morning."
"That you will," Paddy agreed as he headed toward the guest bedroom. "That you will."  

2 comments: