Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Safe Harbor - 11


"Fuck, fuck, fuck," Bobby growled under his breath as he quickly left the shelter. Why he’d gone there in the first place was beyond him—well except that he wanted the kids to know what was happening. He should have figured Father Kurt was on top of it already.

If he was going to be honest with himself he knew it was only a part of the reason. After their morning with the detective all he could think about was the Father. He needed to see him again even though he was well aware of how stupid it was. So, he saw him and now was regretting it. All it had done was reinforce how untouchable the man was.

All he cares about is the kids and helping them, and I’m not a kid anymore. I’m surprised he even lets me stay there instead of telling me I’m old enough to be out on my own.

He chuckled morosely, moving rapidly down the crowded street, ignoring the glares of passersby if he happened to brush against them.

Hell, I’ve been on my own since I ran away. He doesn’t see it though. He thinks I’m just like all the others, that I need someone to try to run my life. Well fuck it he’s wrong.

He slammed his way through a small gaggle of giggling girls, turning back when he heard one of them say, ‘Damn, he’s sexy, but rude.’

"Sorry," he responded, eyeing the one who’d spoken.

"So what has your tail in a twist?"

"It’s personal."

She looked him over, linked her arm with his before he could stop her. "Tell mommy all about it."

"Mommy?" He snorted. "Bet you’re not over sixteen."

"Seventeen, thank you very much, so I’m legal."

"Whoa girl, are you suggesting what I think you are?" 

"Well…" She stood on tiptoe to whisper in his ear, "If you have what it takes."

Suddenly he was laughing. "That, girl, is usually my line." Then he took another look at her and asked quietly, "How long have you been on the streets?"

"I don’t know what you mean." She tried to pull away but he gripped her wrist, shaking his head.

"Yeah, you do. Do you and your friends have a safe place to crash, because you’d better if you know what’s good for you? There’s trouble running the streets and you all would be prime targets."

She turned to look at the other two girls then back at him. "What kind of trouble."

"You don’t watch the news I take it."

"Yeah right. We got a wide-screen TV in our squat, right next to the Jacuzzi."

4 comments:

  1. He is trying to help others even though it’s a every person for himself world most of the time. The heart loves who it loves! This very interesting and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he is, and very true, you can't help who you love.

      Delete