Tuesday, January 1, 2019

The Hotel – 36


It was close to ten by the time we all finished eating breakfast and Ramsey still hadn't put in an appearance. It was obvious from their expressions that some of the troupe was beginning to worry. It was almost a repeat of Tessa's not showing up for breakfast Thursday morning—and they all knew the reason she hadn't.

"He drank way too much last night," Phil said aloud, apparently trying to ease his, and their, concerns. "My bet is he's got the hangover from hell and we won't see him until this afternoon."

"He never misses a meal," Jenn said. "That's not him."

"I'll go check on him," I replied even though I was certain Phil was correct.

When I got upstairs, I knocked on Ramsey's door, then tried the door handle when I got not response. It was locked so I banged harder.

"Go way," came a muffled reply.

"I wanted to make certain you were still with us," I called out.

I heard shuffling footsteps then the door being unlocked. Ramsey opened it, gripping the edge to keep me from coming in, I suppose. If he felt as bad as he looked… I shook my head, asking if he had any aspirin.

"Yeah. Took some. I'll be fine. Go away." He flicked his fingers at me and when I took a step back he slammed the door. I had the distinct feeling he regretted that seconds later if his head hurt as badly as I bet it did.

When I got back downstairs I told everyone he was alive, but far from kicking. They all looked relieved and from there they split up with Phil and Noah saying they were going for a walk. Jenn, Kirby, Caitlin, and Marsh held a brief conversation before telling me they wanted to hike down to the town.

"Maybe get lunch while we're there, if there's a decent restaurant," Kirby said.

"There is," Felicia told him, coming into the room. "Not four-star, but the food's edible if you like plain cooking. Give me a call when you're ready to come back and I'll send Logan to pick you up."

"Don’t think we can make it on our own?" Marsh asked disbelievingly.

"Feel free to try, but it's all uphill from there, and in case you haven't noticed the air is thinner in the mountains."

"If the macho men want to walk back that's fine with me, but Caitlin and I are smart enough call for a ride," Jenn said with a smirk.

"Wusses," Kirby muttered, ducking when Jenn took a swipe at him. I had the feeling calmer heads would prevail and they'd all be happy to ride back with Logan.

"What about you?" Felicia asked when they left.

"I'm going to find a good book and sit out on the patio," which I did.

2 comments:

  1. Might as well make the best of it! I wonder what book who is he reading ?

    ReplyDelete