Saturday, January 19, 2019

The Hotel – 45


Edwin obviously was aware of my scrutiny because he stopped in the middle of a story to ask, "Do I still come up to your high standards?"

I could feel the heat rising in my face and was thankful that the waitress had arrived with our meals. I dug in, trying to ignore his amused smile.

"Well?" he persisted. "Do I?"

"They aren't that high," I muttered.

"That can be taken several ways."

"I meant… Damn it, Edwin!"

He laughed. "I was teasing. How is your dinner?"

"Excellent; and yours?"

"Very good. I like what they've done with the potatoes. I might see if I can get the recipe for Brenda."

"And the hotelier comes out, always thinking how to improve things."

"Of course. Just as you want to improve your troupe. Have you…? Of course you have."

"Found replacements for Jenn and Tessa? Yes. I might add another actor and actress so we can do plays that require larger casts." With that I was off and running, telling him about the shows we'd done and the one coming up. That, of course, reminded me I was due at the shelter soon for tonight's performance. When I mentioned it, he asked if he could come with me.

"I don't see why not," I replied. "I'm sure everyone will be happy to see you again."

"Happier than you are, I hope," he said with a trace of asperity.

"Not true. I'm glad you're here. It just threw me at first."

He nodded, looking at me, then smiled. "I know."

"Do not do that!" I said emphatically, because I was certain he was probing to find out if I was being honest with him.

"I wasn't checking to find out if that was the truth," he replied. "I swear I wasn't. I can see it in your expression. You have a very open face which reveals your emotions."

"Are you serious? No one's every told me that before."

"Perhaps I'm more discerning than most of your friends," he said, laying his hand over mine.

"I suppose, given what you are, you have to be," I replied, feeling a rush of desire at his touch. When I moved my hand he smiled knowingly.

"We should finish eating or we'll be late."

For a second I wondered what he meant, and then I remembered the shelter.

(Due to plans with family, the next installment will be Wednesday, the 23rd)

4 comments: