Wednesday, July 6, 2022

You Do What You Have To - 28

 


 

"Robin," Eldon growled. "Are you out of your fucking mind?"

 

Robin chuckled. "Some people would say I am. Don't worry. I trust him."

 

"How long have you known him that you can say that with certainty?"

 

"Since yesterday afternoon?" Robin envisioned Eldon running one hand through his hair in dismay. "Stop worrying," Robin told him.

 

"I worry about all of you at times. It comes with the territory." Eldon sighed. "Do you have anything else to tell me?"

 

"Yeah. Mackenzie has a new training house." Robin went on to tell Eldon where, and which of Mackenzie's people were involved. "Get it shut down, but find a way that doesn't let him know someone inside his organization ratted about it."

 

"I do know what I'm doing," Eldon said sourly.

 

"Yeah, I know."

 

"Okay. Watch your back, Robin. I don't want to lose you."

 

"I'd rather not be lost," Robin replied before ending the call.

 

"What's a training house?" Micky asked, as Robin returned the list to the safe and closed it.

 

"Where they take the kids they pick up off the streets, to teach them what they need to know to make Mackenzie money," Robin said angrily. "Before they ship them off to another city to…to ply their trade."

 

"You have to be kidding! I thought… Okay, I guess I really haven't thought about it. I just figured the kids I see downtown or wherever… Well, that if they're selling themselves, it's just to make a few bucks giving a blowjob so they can eat."

 

"Those aren't Mackenzie's or Hummel's. Mackenzie's kids are set up with rooms in motels or cheap hotels. They're terrorized, or have been hooked on drugs that he supplies them, so they don't try to get away—even though they're out on the streets to pick up johns and take them back to their rooms to service them. From what I know, Olivia Hummel actually has two houses for her boys, but those change weekly, so by the time we find out where they are, they've moved the kids to a new one."

 

"Why aren't the Feds in on this?"

 

"Do you know how many sex-slave rings there are in this country? To say the least around the world. They have their hands full."

 

Micky scowled. "It seems to me that the ones involving kids would be their top priority."

 

"Are you saying we're not as good as they are at what we do?" Robin asked with a ghost of a smile.

 

"I'm sure you are, but still…"

 

"Don't worry. We're going to stop this pair. Right now, however, I have to figure out how to meet either Vaughn or Tanzer and see what I can learn from them—if anything."

 

2 comments: