Wednesday, May 11, 2022

You Belong to Me – 93

 

 

Corey and Scott survived the wedding, the reception, and the aftermath. Since the members of the Byrne family who had attended it consisted only of those people Scott had already met, they didn’t have to go through any more “revelations” about Corey’s sexuality. If any of Cathy’s family were bothered by it, they had enough sense not to say so, at least publicly.

 

Now as Corey and Scott sat in the airport gate area, waiting for their plane, Scott said, “I was right, wasn’t I?”

 

“Yes,” Corey replied, smiling. “As you have pointed out, just about every hour on the hour, you were. I had no reason to worry. Well…a reason, maybe, but I was dead wrong, thankfully.”

 

“They’re good people. Okay, Phil’s a bit of a space cadet but….”

 

Corey snickered. “I prefer to think of him as a free spirit.”

 

“That works.”

 

After studying Scott for a long moment, something he loved doing whether there was a reason behind it or not, Corey asked hesitantly, “Will I get to meet your family sometime?” He knew from what Scott had said a time or two that it was a large one, spread out across the country.

 

Scott nodded. “Maybe all at once actually. The folks are planning a huge family reunion in September.”

 

Eight months from now. Will we still be together then? Corey almost voiced his thought, then decided he could be jinxing things. Instead he said, joking, “Are they renting Yankee Stadium?”

 

“Maybe?” Scott laughed. “You’ll find out when it happens.” Smiling, he gave Corey a fast hug. “And you will be there, have no doubts about that. Because as far as I’m concerned, you’re in my life now and I have no intention of that changing if I can help it. Yeah, I know, we’re still in the early stages and it’ll take work, but I honestly think we’ll make it.” He looked questioningly at Corey. “Right?”

 

“Right,” Corey replied seriously. Then, after glancing around to be certain no one was interested in them, he kissed Scott—quickly. “We will.”

 

Scott laughed. “If you can do that, in front of God and everyone, I think we have more than a damned good chance of making it to the reunion together. And then Christmas with our families, staggered on alternate years, and—”

 

The announcement that their plane was boarding broke into Scott’s list of future events.

 

Grinning as he slung his carry-on bag over his shoulder, Corey said, “We’re going to rack up lots of frequent flyer miles for sure.”

 

“And that’s a problem, why?”

 

“It’s not. If we’re earning them together.”

 

“Exactly,” Scott agreed.

 

And with that, they boarded the plane and headed home.

 

The End

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I love Corey and Scott! Thanks for the great story, Edward. Will you publish this so I can keep them forever on my Kindle? <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it. It was a published story from 2014 from Dreamspinner Press. Unfortunately, they unilaterally gave the rights back to me without my asking for them, so it's no longer available.

      Delete
    2. Darn. I spent all this time reading this and I had the e-book all this time. Not fair. You should remind us at the beginning Mr. Kendrick. Since I own all your published works, I usually check my files, but I didn't this time, my bad.

      Delete
    3. Sorry. I have added the warning at the start of the next one, which will begin in two days.

      Delete
  2. Thanks. I really enjoyed their story

    ReplyDelete