Sunday, August 23, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 39


 

"How you doing?" Sam asked Ricky that evening after supper.

 

"Me? Fine? Why?"

 

Sam shrugged. "I just wondered."

 

"How are you doing? You're one of the stars."

 

"Don't remind me," Sam said, shaking his head. "I'm going to be dreaming of Fagin and how to play him. Well, once Tuck tells how I'm supposed to be Fagin."

 

"Crafty but caring," Ricky replied. "At least that's what he sounds like."

 

"I know. He loves the kids in his own way, but he still uses them."

 

"Like the guy who helped me when I first hit the streets. Took me under his wing, showed me the ropes, then told me I could make money to live on if I helped him out by selling weed."

 

As he thought about that, Sam had an idea that didn't sit to well with him. He wanted to ask Ricky if there was more to it than just the guy getting him into dealing. So he started to say, "Did you…" then shook his head.

 

There must have been something in his expression that gave him away because Ricky said, "Did I have sex with him in exchange for his helping me? No. He never even suggested that—or that I sell myself instead of weed. He was dead against it."

 

All Sam said in reply was "good". He was extremely relieved by Ricky's answer and he knew why, although he'd never admit it to Ricky. In the short time that they'd known each other, he was… Not falling for him. But…interested? He hoped that wasn't because they were the only two gay guys in the troop. I'm not that shallow, am I?

 

"Where are you at?" Ricky asked. "Worrying about Fagin, still? You're going to be great."

 

"Thanks."

 

"We all are. Right?"

 

"Damned straight. Then we'll head to Broadway. Win a Tony."

 

"And off to Hollywood and the Oscars." Ricky grinned. "Or TV and an Emmy."

 

"We'll be huge stars and no one will believe we started out singing for our suppers on the street."

 

"Buy huge mansions. Lots of people begging for autographs." Ricky laughed, giving Sam a hug. "You and me on top of the world."

 

"It could happen," Sam replied, hugging him back. "But not if we don't start memorizing our lines. It's hard to be famous actors if we can't even do that."

 

"Then let's get on it." Ricky jumped to his feet then dashed into the cabin. He returned moments later with his script. Sam went to get his and they spent the rest of the evening working on their parts.

 

2 comments:

  1. I see how it is working here. And I think both boys would be happy with each other.

    ReplyDelete