Saturday, August 15, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 35

 

Tuck got to the plaza early Sunday evening. He'd done his final show at the theater the previous night, after he and Brent had dropped Roma off at a downtown motel. She'd protested she could spend the night at her usual spot, but they were having none of that. As Brent had told her, "You're part of our theater, now, so no more sleeping…wherever you did. Got it?"

 

"Got it," she'd replied. "Thank you for caring."

 

"Of course we do." Tuck gave her a hug. "Now get some rest. I'll see you tomorrow."

 

Now, as he crossed the plaza, Tuck overheard Roma say to the man sitting beside her on the piano bench, "Here he comes. Remember, he doesn't bite. He's one of the good people in the world."

 

The man nodded, not looking as if he really believed her.

 

Tuck smiled at Roma, and then said, "This is the pianist you told me about, I presume."

 

"Yes. Vin," —she rested on hand on the man's arm— "this is Tuck."

 

Vin looked past Tuck as he mumbled, "Nice to meet ya'."

 

"Vin's sort of shy unless he's playing," Roma said, patting Vin's arm.

 

"Am not," Vin protested. "It's just…" He shrugged.

 

"You don't trust people," Tuck said.

 

Vin was older, probably in his fifties, Tuck thought. His dark hair was already graying, he was unshaven, and the jacket he had on was worn out at the elbows. There was a bulky ancient backpack at his feet, bulging with what Tuck was certain were all his worldly possessions.

 

"Yeah. Would you, if you were me?"

 

"Given your circumstances, probably not," Tuck replied. "How long have you been on the streets?"

 

"None of your damn business."

 

"Vin," Roma protested softly.

 

Vin glowered momentarily. Then he almost smiled. "Was putting you on, Tuck. Gotta know what you're like, you know. You didn't call me out, so I guess you're okay."

 

"Thanks. Roma says you're pretty good on the piano."

 

"Pretty good?" Vin seemed incensed. "I'm better than her, which is saying something."

 

Roma laughed. "Not sure of that. I'm just fair-to-middling." She got up, telling Vin, "Show him."

 

Vin swung around, thought for a moment, then began playing "Ain't Misbehavin'". From there, he segued into "The Joint is Jumping" and ended with "Honeysuckle Rose". The crowd of people who had gathered around applauded loudly when he finished.

 

"Bet you don't know who wrote those," Vin told Tuck.

 

Tuck grinned. "Fats Waller."

 

"You ain't as dumb as you look," Vin said.

 

"I sure hope not. Do you mind?" Tuck gestured to the bench, then sat when Vin moved to give him room. "Do you know "Give My Regards to Broadway"?"

 

"Hum a few bars and I'll fake it." Vin riposted. Then he laughed. "Of course I do." He played the first few bars. Tuck began singing and soon Roma joined in. "Hey, you're not too bad," Vin said when the song ended. "I mean you, Tuck. Roma? Hell, I know she's great."

 

By then, Tuck thought Vin had relaxed enough, so he asked, "Did Roma tell you why I wanted to meet you?"

 

"Sure did." Vin cocked an eyebrow. "Did I pass the audition?"

 

"You better believe it—and then some. Now the question is, would you be willing to join us?"

 

"I… Hell. Why not? Ain't got anything keeping me here."

 

"Great. Are you ready to leave now?"

 

Vin laughed. "Gonna make sure I don't have a chance to change my mind?"

 

"That did occur to me," Tuck admitted.

 

"Figured. Sure. Let's get out of here before these nice people demand an encore."

 

Tuck called Brent to let him know he'd be home late. Half an hour later, he pulled the van into the theater parking lot. The kids were gathered on the porch of the girls' cabin and the minute they saw the van, they came over. Vin seemed a bit nonplussed, Tuck thought, looking at Roma as if for support before they got out.

 

"Guys," Tuck said, "this is our music man. Vin." He introduced Vin to everyone before asking Sam to show him the cabin and where he'd be sleeping. Then he left to go home.

 

4 comments:

  1. Awesome I am going to love Vin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many lives will be touched by this venture and dream. Vin is interesting and brings a whole new perspective to this group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, and it means Tuck's no only trying to save the kids. There's Roma and Vin, too.

      Delete