Saturday, March 5, 2016

Hunted – 51



Brice’s co-star looked over when Brice arrived on the set, with Faolán right behind him. “He follows you like a well trained dog,” he said with a malicious sneer.

Brice stopped, looked at the man, took a deep breath then put one arm around Faolán’s shoulders as he replied, “No, he doesn’t follow me. He’s with me the way a lover should be, just as I’m with him. It’s something I’m sure you’ve never experienced.”

Everyone within hearing distance stopped what they were doing to stare at Brice. He grinned at the looks on their faces. Most of them were shocked at first, then several smiled, and a couple even gave him a thumb’s up.

Faolán leaned close enough to whisper, “When you decide to do something you do it and damn the torpedoes.”

“I guess so. Now to see how fast the torpedoes can sink me.” 

“Mr. Davies, if I may have a word with you, in private,” the director said.

“And this may be the first one,” Brice muttered as he followed the director to his office.

“First,” the director began, after he closed the door, “that was a very courageous move on your part. Secondly, are you ready for any fall-out that may occur because of it?”

“I can handle it if it hits the media.”

“If?”

Brice amended his statement. “Okay, when it hits the media. I’ve lived in fear of being outed for too damned long. Honestly, the moment I said that it felt as if a huge weight was off my shoulders.” He paced to the window then turned back to look at the director. “If it impacts the show’s ratings, which I hope it doesn’t, just kill my character off again and make it permanent.”

The director smiled. “I’ve got the feeling that’s not going to happen. Yes there are assholes out there who’ll raise a stink, but times are getting better.” Suddenly he got a gleam in his eye. When Brice cocked an eyebrow in question the man shook his head. “I need to talk to the writers and the producers before I say anything. For now, go get ready for the first scene.”

As soon as Brice stepped out of the office Faolán was beside him. “Did he read you the riot act, or fire you?” he asked worriedly.

“Not at all. He actually congratulated me, more or less.” He hugged Faolán and kissed him lightly, not at all concerned now if anyone saw it. “I have to get to work.”

“Okay. I’ll be hiding in the shadows watching, like yesterday.”

“You know,” Brice said pensively, “if nothing else, having Maximus after me has made two good things happen. I finally got up the courage to admit what I am, because doing that was, in the long run, both right and easier, now that I know what real fear is like. If that makes any sense at all.”

“It does. And what’s the other thing?”

Brice smiled softly. “I met you.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment