Friday, August 7, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 31

 

"Why aren't you playing some of the parts?" Ricky asked. "That's what you do. You act." He frowned. "I mean, what else will you do, if you're not in the show? Oh." He nodded when he obviously got it. "You're directing."

 

"I am," Tuck agreed. He smiled. "It'll be a learning experience, but if we all work together, I suspect I can make a halfway decent director and turn you into actors."

 

"With very rough edges," Roma said.

 

"At first. But by the time we open, we'll have polished them off. Before you ask, that won't happen until all of us feel we're ready. This is a joint effort, so all of you have as much of a say about the big things as Brent and I do."

 

"Great," Mace said. "Can we decide on pizza every day for lunch?"

 

Brent fielded that one, telling him and the others, "We're going to stock the kitchens with more food than you have now. It will be up to you to decide what to have for meals and make them. Hopefully, at least a couple of you know how to cook."

 

"Oh, boy," DJ muttered. Then he looked at Evie, smiling winningly. "You can cook, can't you?"

 

"Of course. But I'm in the girls' cabin. You guys are on your own." That rated her laughs from the other girls and Roma.

 

"Bummer. I guess we'll be having hamburgers noon and night."

 

"Have faith," Mace said. "I can cook—or I used to be able to. It's been a while."

 

"Maybe it's like getting on a bike after a long time off?" Ricky asked hopefully.

 

"Let's hope so."

 

Tuck clapped his hands to get their attention again. "We'll have our first read-through Monday morning. I've got scripts for you, so you can look at them before then."

 

"What about music?" Roma asked.

 

"I thought we'd abscond with one of the pianos from the plaza," Tuck replied. When she flipped him off, he told her, "Brent talked with a man who owns an instrument rental store. He has an older upright piano in good shape he's willing to sell us for much less than it's worth, to help us out."

 

"That works," Roma replied. "Are we sticking with just a piano? And who's going to play it?"

 

"Not you," Tuck told her. "We haven't found anyone, yet."

 

"That might not be a problem. I know just the person. He comes by the piano plaza in the evenings. He's not concert quality, but he's good. If you take me back with you when you leave tonight, I'll talk to him. Okay?"

 

"Is he homeless?" Brent asked.

 

"I think that's a no duh question," she told him, shaking her head with amusement. "That's the only kind of people I know."

 

"I should have figured," Brent admitted. "Talk with him, and if he's agreeable, we'll hire him."

 

"Is there anything else you all want to ask or talk about right now?" Tuck wanted to know. When everyone shook their heads, he suggested they break up the meeting. "Feel free to explore the area. Just remember, no swimming without having someone else around."

 

Evie held up her hand. "If you're leaving, and taking Roma…umm. Is it safe for us to be here on our own?"

 

"A lot safer than you were on the streets at night," Tuck replied. "You know how to handle yourselves, and I doubt anyone's going to come by. We're well off the main road."

 

Evie crossed her fingers, but she didn't seem reassured. She did smile when DJ said, "I'll be around if you need me."

 

"A budding romance?" Brent said to Tuck as everyone left the theater.

 

"It wouldn't surprise me. And probably not the last one. You throw a bunch of teens together like this, add in raging hormones that come with the territory, and sparks are bound to fly."

2 comments: