Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Hotel – 49


"Look," Ramsey said, resting his elbows on the table as he stared seriously at me. "You created the troupe and watched it grow into something pretty damned good. Maybe now it's time to let it go. Sort of like a parent letting their kids move out and make it on their own."

"I know you probably hate the idea right this minute," Caitlin added, resting her hand on my arm. "But wouldn't it be worth it? It's not like you have to give up the theater all together. Talk to Edwin. See how he'd feel about setting up a small repertory company at the hotel if you want to keep your hand in."

I looked at them, shaking my head when I realized… "You planned this, didn't you?"

"Us?" they said in unison.

"Nope, not us," Ramsey said. "Well, not just us. Don't get pissed but it's been pretty clear for the last few weeks that you're not happy. Okay, you're not unhappy but there's something missing. You don't seem as enthusiastic as you used to be."

"So we decided to do something about it. We had a meeting last Monday, while you were up at the hotel," Caitlin said, not quite looking at me. "We want to help you."

"By going behind my back?" I asked scathingly. "What great plan did you come up with?"

"Ease up, Austin," Ramsey replied. "We do want to help and, well, this is just an idea. Nothing's written in stone so if you don't like it, fine. That said, what if Marsh took over running things, and we brought in someone to direct? Also, it's not like we really have much in the way of sets, right? We could probably find someone from the theater department at the college who would love to design what little we need in exchange for getting credit for it, or however that would work."

"We'll keep on performing at the shelters and what have you, as well as at the local restaurants. That's already set up, thanks to you." Caitlin said, patting my arm.

I knew what they were suggesting was logical. It didn't mean I had to like the idea that they were willing to see me walk away from everything I'd created, without even consulting me first. All right, they were consulting me, but still…

"Think about it, Austin," Ramsey said. "You don't have to make a decision here and now. But…" he pointed a finger at me. "If you and Edwin want to be together on a more permanent basis, and I think you do, this could be the answer."

I nodded. He had a point. First though, before saying yes or no, I needed to talk with Edwin. I said as much and we left it at that for the moment.

4 comments: