Sunday, January 27, 2019

The Hotel - 48


Four months later, I was beginning to wonder if Edwin and I truly could make things work. We wanted to. There was no question about that. We spent as much time as possible together, considering our very different lives. Mondays, because it was one of my days off from the gallery, as well as the one day of freedom for everyone in the troupe, Edwin took me up to the hotel for the day—and night.

The first time he did that was…interesting. Being at my place one second, then in his suite at the hotel the next, left me feeling nauseated, to put it mildly.

"That shade of green does not suit you," Edwin had said, laughing. "You'll get used to it, in time."

"Being sick?" I'd replied dryly, taking a deep breath to calm my stomach.

"No." He hugged me, which had helped. "Teleporting."

He was right, I did get used to it.

The problem was it felt like we were in a long-distance relationship and he was doing all the work to make it possible for us to be together. True, he wasn't complaining about it but I began to feel guilty, with no idea how to solve the problem. Or at least no solution which didn't involve one of us giving up what we loved doing.

I was bemoaning the fact one evening after a rehearsal when Caitlin and Ramsey suggested we stop for coffee before heading home.

"It's going to get worse when you have to drive up there in the winter," Ramsey said after hearing me out. Of course he didn't know that was the least of my problems. He, and the rest of the troupe, figured either Edwin or I spent an hour or more on the road getting to his place or mine.

"You're not helping," Caitlin told him, rolling her eyes.

"Just stating facts," he replied, hugging her.

She kissed his cheek then said to me, "One of you needs to make a major life change if you want to be together permanently."

"I know that," I replied in frustration.

"So do it." She smiled sweetly.

"Me?"

"Well, Edwin's not here so I can't tell him to. Besides which, he owns the hotel and it's his home, as well as his business. You on the other hand…" She left it hanging.

She was correct on one point, he did have to stay where he was. Not only because of the hotel but because of his pack and the other shifters who lived in town. It was a safe haven and he would never desert them, even for me. I knew and understood that. Quite honestly I didn't even resent it. It was how it was and I respected his reasons. That was a part of caring for someone.

"I have a job, here," I said, "and you two and the rest of the troupe. I can't just walk away."

"Really?" Ramsey replied. "Do you love the gallery that much?"

I knew he was teasing, sort of. I liked working there but it was hardly my life. The troupe, however… "I can't abandon all of you."

2 comments: