Monday, January 7, 2019

The Hotel - 39


Edwin looked at me, head cocked. "If you were to take a guess, who do you think killed her?"

"Honestly? Jenn. She's the only one with a real motive. I can't see Caitlin doing it. There was no reason for her to think I wouldn't just cancel the show with Tessa gone. If Kirby learned about their argument, and I'm sure Jenn would have told him, he might have been pissed at Tessa, but that's hardly a reason to kill her."

"You're eliminating Ramsey?"

"I think so. Even if he had come on to her and she turned him down, killing her would be a bit extreme. No, Jenn would be my choice, out of fear that Tessa and Kirby did have something going on. Jealousy is a great motive."

"I agree, and so does Orville."

"You still have to prove it."

"We might be able to." Edwin took a clear plastic envelope from his pocket, handing it to me. "Have you seen this before?"

It was a small, heart-shaped pendant with a single diamond in the center and a broken chain still attached. Turning the envelope over, I saw the words 'Love, K' engraved on the back. "Where did you find this?" I asked, handing it back.

"Orville sent Henry back to go over the area where he found Tessa inch by inch. The pendant was half-buried in the dirt a few feet from where she was laying. If it was Tessa's then it does us no good, but if it belongs to Jenn…"

"It proves she's the killer. She might have lost it while she was trying to hide the body."

"Exactly," Edwin agreed. He excused himself, leaving the suite. When he returned a few minutes later he retook his seat, asking, "Have you seen either of the women wearing it?"

I frowned, trying to remember, then shook my head. "Honestly, I rarely notice a woman's jewelry unless it's ostentatious. This isn't, and the chain is fairly long so the pendant probably hung between her breasts. Not a place I ever look if I can help it."

Edwin chuckled. "I'm not surprised. Orville is here, as you may have seen, to talk to Kirby. I gave him back the pendant to show Kirby."

"And arrest Jenn if it turns out Kirby gave it to her, not Tessa?"

"He'll take Jenn in for questioning and go from there."

"If she lies to him," I replied, "he'll know it, but he can hardly use that to make his case."

"Very true, but he's excellent at using what he learns to probe deeper."

I sighed. "Not to sound selfish, but I wish it had been one of the men."

Edwin moved across the sofa to put one arm around me. "I'm sure you do and it's not selfish. I doubt there are many plays that only have one female in them. Will you be able to replace her?"

"Yes. It'll take time, but I will."

4 comments:

  1. I would assume after being buried and rain it no longer holds the owner smell? But omg I agree with Debbie getting closer and deeper! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Cinders. There a limits to what even a shifter can do.

      Delete