Wednesday, November 22, 2023

19 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

A small moan from Kevin had everyone immediately looking at him. Mira took his hand in hers, while using her free one to press the call button. Kevin opened his eyes, closing them instantly, then opening them a slit.

 

Mick hurried to the light switch by the door, flicking it off, leaving the only light in the room coming from a lamp on the beside table.

 

Kevin barely turned his head to look at his mother. It seemed as if he wanted to say something but couldn't because of the endotracheal tube. He winced as he slowly lifted his hand to touch it, staring pleadingly at Mira.

 

A nurse came into the room at that moment. She crossed to him, shaking her head. "Give me a moment to check the monitors," she told him gently but firmly. "Then, if things seem all right, I'll remove it."

 

A few moments later it was out and she left, returning with some crushed ice for him to suck on, after warning him not to talk until then.

 

"What happened to me?" Kevin asked, when he could speak, his voice low and raspy.

 

"You don't remember?" Will asked, causing Kevin to look at him quizzically.

 

"Who are you?"

 

"Never mind for now," Mira replied before Will could. She stroked Kevin's forehead. "You don't remember anything?"

 

Will leaned down to whisper to her, "Let me get the officer in here. He's going to want to know what, if anything, Kevin might recall when he's thought about it."

 

She nodded and Will stepped outside, returning seconds later with the policeman.

 

"I'm Officer Jenkins," the man said, by way of introduction. "Is there anything at all you remember about last night and the attack?"

 

Kevin frowned. "I had to do laundry. I went down to the basement. My hands were full with the basket but I got the door." His frown deepened. "It should have been locked but it wasn't. I remember thinking someone else must be using it but when I opened the door, the room was dark. I reached for the light switch and… and…" His face filled with terror. "Something hit me. Hard. I fell. And…"

 

"And?" the officer asked.

 

Kevin closed his eyes. "All I remember after that was pain and… and a voice. An angry voice saying something about belonging to him or something belonged to him."

 

Mira took his hand again. "That you belonged to him?"

 

"I… I don't think so. I mean, who would think that?"

 

"No one," she replied quickly.

 

"Kevin," the officer asked, "has anyone given you something recently? Something to keep for them or something purporting to be a gift?"

 

"No, sir."

 

"All right, how about this? Are you dating a girl who someone else might think was his girlfriend?"

 

Kevin started to shake his head but obviously though better of it, wincing slightly. "I went to a movie with a friend who's a girl, and we're supposed to do it again next weekend, but she's just a friend, nothing more."

 

"So she doesn't have a boyfriend—or an ex-boyfriend?"

 

"Not that I know of."

 

"And that's all you remember, being attacked and then a man saying that?"

 

"Yes, sir."

 

"All right. I'll let my superiors know. Someone may come by to ask more questions." Officer Jenkins thanked him for his time and left the room.

 

"We should leave as well," Will said, "so Kevin can rest."

 

After a quick glance at his mother, who was nodding, Kevin asked, "Who are you anyway?"

 

"I guess you could call me a family friend who fell on bad times," Will replied with a smile. "You take care, Kevin, and listen to your doctors and your mother."

 

Will turned away before Kevin could reply, herding Mick out of the room into the hall.


No comments:

Post a Comment