Saturday, November 4, 2023

10 – This Gift, This Curse

 

 

Mick glared at him. "Why the hell didn't you tell me about this before now?"

 

"I've learned not to." Will saw a thoughtful look flit across Mick's face and said quickly, to forestall his possible question, "People either think I'm crazy, they try to use me, or they walk away because they're afraid of me."

 

"That's other people, not me. I know you're not crazy." Mick's lips quirked up in a small grin. "Strange maybe, but not crazy."

 

Will tried to smile back but all he could think about was the young man and what would happen to him if they didn't find him in time. "How the hell will we do that?" he muttered.

 

"Do what? Find him?" Mick said, apparently following Will's train of thought.

 

"Yes. How do you find a needle in a haystack?"

 

"You've done it before, haven't you?"

 

"Usually I'm close by when I get a picture of what's going to happen and can step in, or at least warn the person." He chuckled morosely. "That's always fun. 'Sir, if you take your usual route home, you're going to be in a major auto accident and probably die.' That went over well when I told the guy. I thought he was going to call the nearest cop. But what else could I do other than warn him?"

 

"Did he at least change his route?" When Will shook his head, Mick muttered, "Damn."

 

Will leaned against the grimy alley wall. "What do you remember of him, other than dark hair and a blue jacket?"

 

Mick smirked, even though it was a serious question. "He was cute. Okay, okay, sorry. Let's see." He closed his eyes, the immediately opened them. "You saw him in your vision, or whatever you call it. You should know."

 

"I just saw him from behind, and when he went into the laundry room it was dark so all I saw were figures. The same with the men who attacked him. I know one of them was tall and probably blond, but that's about it."

 

"Then how do you know the guy with the girl is the one who gets attacked?"

 

"Remember when he turned around for a second? Seeing his face triggered my vision, as you call it."

 

"Then you know what he looks like."

 

Will shook his head. "It happened too fast. I saw him then I was seeing his future."

 

"Okay. That sucks. As much as I remember of him, he's got short, dark brown hair, but you know that. I'd guess he's around six foot." Mick closed his eyes for a moment. "Straight nose, ears close to his head… hell I don't know. Just a normal, cute guy. I'd know him if I saw him though."

 

"What about the girl?"

 

Mick chuckled. "I don't look at girls. Still, she was blonde. Her hair's shoulder length but you know that, too. She was wearing a white and gold jacket with some sort of logo on the front. They were both college age so I bet they go to the city college. Its colors are white and gold."

 

"Two students among thousands of others." Will sighed. "At least we have time. There was snow on the sidewalk to the back door of the building and more on the grass. A fair amount I think."

 

"Well, it is winter. I'm surprised we haven't had more than flurries so far, thank God. Speaking of which…" He shivered, pulling his jacket tighter around himself. "It's late, and cold, so what say we get back to our palatial digs?"

 

Will actually managed to smile at Mick's description of the room in the deserted building where they were staying. Adjusting his pack on his shoulders, he led the way out of the alley.

No comments:

Post a Comment