Monday, August 2, 2021

Every House Has a Secret - 39

 


 

"Can we presume you showed him your great-grandfather's confession?" Brady asked.

 

"I did. It took all my nerve. I almost backed out when it was time to get on the plane. But after our talk, I mean the three of us—" he circled his finger, "—I thought about it and decided it was only fair that I did what Frank and I had planned and showed him, now that we have proof to back up the confession."

 

Rand nodded. "How did he take it?"

 

"About the way you'd expect. At first he didn't believe it was real. Then when he accepted it was, he was horrified. He loved Ethan. It was a blow to everything he thought was the truth about his father—and Ethan." Colin took a drink of his beer before continuing. "Strangely enough, he said he could emphasize with Ethan's feelings, if not what he did. He said if someone murdered one of us, he'd want revenge, too. Of course he wouldn't have tried to frame some for the killings, the way Ethan did, but dealing with the killers? That, he understood."

 

"I suppose anyone one would, on some level," Brady replied. "God only knows there've been enough popular movies made with that theme."

 

They went silent for a moment, each one wrapped in their own thoughts. Then Colin said, "I owe you a debt of gratitude that I'd like to repay, somehow."

 

Rand grinned. "Give me free rein in your bookstore for an hour."

 

"Rand," Brady said, shaking his head.

 

"You've got it," Colin replied. "I take it you're a reader."

 

"Definitely. Come on, I'll show you." Rand led the way into the library.

 

"Yep, you are, but there's still plenty of room for more," Colin said, looking at the shelves which were only half-full. "Come up anytime and we'll see what we can do about adding to your collection. You too, Brady."

 

"Well, I'm not as ardent about them as Rand, but I'm sure I can find a couple that will interest me."

 

When they were back in the living room, Brand said, "If you're planning on staying in the city until morning, we've got a guestroom."

 

"Seriously? That would be great, although I'll have to leave at the crack of dawn to get home. The store opens at ten."

 

Colin did stay, leaving as promised very early the next morning after passing on breakfast. "Don't forget," he said, "I'll expect to see you sometime soon to raid the store."

 

"Believe me, Colin," Rand replied. "That is an offer I could never forget."

 

"He's a nice kid," Brady said as they watched Colin drive away.

 

"He is. It runs in the family, in spite of Ethan Barrett. He probably was, too, until his daughter was murdered. Then he went a little crazy."

 

"More like totally insane." Brady put his arm around Rand's waist as they walked inside. "It's been an interesting few weeks, but now I'm ready for some peace and quiet in our new home, starting with breakfast."

 

"I think I can handle that, too," Rand replied, kissing him. "Pancakes or omelets?"

 

The End

 

6 comments:

  1. Some things change a person that can’t be changed back no matter how much they wish. Great ending and thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous story. I loved all the twists and turns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much. I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete