Saturday, July 17, 2021

Every House Has a Secret - 31


 

Rand called Colin Hodges, gave him the reason he'd come up with for wanting to interview him. When Colin agreed to speak with him, Rand said he could be at Colin's place around noon Saturday morning.

 

"I'll be at work," Colin had told him. "I own a bookstore and Saturday is one of our busy days so wait until after two, please."

 

"No problem. I'll see you then."

 

The bookstore was very busy, as Rand and Brady found out when they arrived there Saturday afternoon. They stopped at the front counter, telling the clerk they were looking for Colin. She gestured distractedly toward a door at the back before moving on to the next customer in line.

 

Rand rapped on the door, which opened seconds later.

 

"Mr. Jordner?" the man standing there asked.

 

"Yes. I presume you're Colin Hodges."

 

"I am. Come in, please." Colin looked at Brady in question.

 

After Rand introduced him as his colleague, they all took seats around the desk in the center of the room. Rand was sorely tempted to stop and check out the books in the cases lining one wall, but resisted.

 

"I'm not quite certain why you want to talk with me about my grandmother's murder," Colin said. "I wasn't even alive when it happened."

 

"But you know about it, according to your father," Rand replied.

 

"Yes." Colin frowned. "You've talked with him as part of your story?"

 

"I have. He said your great grandfather, Ethan Barrett, told you about it. What were your feelings when that happened?"

 

Colin shrugged. "I was eight when he did. I think, from what I remember, I thought it was scary and exciting at the same time, if that makes sense."

 

"It does. He also told you about your grandfather Dennis and what happened with him."

 

"Yes." Colin's mouth tightened. "He blamed him for my grandmother's death."

 

"Do you?"

 

Rather than replying to Rand's question, Colin asked, "What does this have to do with the story you said you're writing about police procedures back then compared to today?"

 

"Background," Rand replied. "Human interest."

 

"I don't believe you."

 

"Why not?"

 

"Because I'm not stupid. After we set up the appointment, I decided to find out if you really were what you said. You are, as far as being a reporter. A fairly respected one from what I learned. However…" Colin looked dead at him. "You also own the house that used to belong to my grandfather, which made me wonder if that's the real reason you wanted to talk to me. I called Dad. He said you'd called him, so I got in touch with my uncles. It seems you also talked with them."

 

"I told you I spoke with your father," Rand said.

 

"But…it had nothing to do with this so-called story you claim you're writing. The same with my uncles." Colin leaned back, crossing his arms. "Do you want to tell me the truth? If not, please leave."

 

4 comments: