Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Sing for Their Supper - 47

 


 

For the next week, everyone—Tuck, the cast, and Gloria—strove diligently to reach the point where the actors knew their lines, the songs, and the choreography Gloria had created. She said it was just the basics and she'd expand on it once they had the blocking down for the non-dancing parts of the show. They began working on that for some of the scenes at the end of the week.

 

There were high points, such as when Mace had finally been able to dig deep into his psyche to pull off the scene where Sikes murdered Nancy. He'd made it so realistic that Sam and Ricky had started to run to her rescue until Roma let them know she was all right.

 

"That was perfect," Tuck said. "Now, remember what it took for you to do that, Mace."

 

Mace barely nodded. He looked drained—and frightened. Roma put her arm around his waist, leading him to the side of the stage where no one could overhear them.

 

"You scared me with your intensity," she said softly. "I can only imagine what that did to you, since I think I know where it came from."

 

"I didn't like it," Mace replied, his voice trembling with emotion. "What if…if that was me, not him?"

 

"Kiddo, take my word for it. You are nothing like your father. If you were, you'd have died on the streets because you wouldn't have been able to rein in the rage. That, or you'd be behind bars by now."

 

"You're sure?"

 

"Absolutely. I know you. You're one of the sweetest guys I've ever met. On top of that—and maybe you don't know this. You probably don't. I know what an abuser is like. I lived with one. I know the signs, and you don't show any of them. Okay?"

 

"Okay." He took a deep breath. "Promise me, if it ever seems like I'm going too far in that scene…"

 

"A knee to the groin will stop you, I suspect." Roma winked.

 

"Big time," he replied with an almost-smile.

 

*****

 

There were also low points, as Tuck suspected there would be. One was when Sam blew his lines over and over again in one scene. Each time he tried again, it got worse, to the point where he slammed his hand against his thigh and stalked away, shouting, "You'd better get someone else to do Fagin. I suck."

 

Tuck went after him, catching him just outside the theater. "Stop right there," he ordered.

 

For a moment it looked as if Sam wouldn't. But he did, glaring down at the ground.

 

"You do not suck, Sam. Yeah, you're having an off day. It happens. I know you know that scene backward and forward. We've done it enough times."

 

"But I didn't have to act it out, and move around, and…" Sam threw his hands in the air. "It's like I can't…chew gum and walk at the same time, damn it."

 

Tuck would have laughed at his description if the situation hadn't been so serious. "Use the blocking as a guide, not an absolute. If you're supposed to move stage right, do, but stop where it feels natural to do so. I haven't drawn lines on the stage floor and told you walk them or else. Blocking, at least as far as I'm concerned, is a guide to keep everyone in the scene visible to the audience and not running into each other. Sure, if you need to get a prop, like the handkerchiefs, you have to go where they are. They're not going to fly into your hand. This isn't a magic show."

 

Sam nodded then gave a small grin. "Wires from the ceiling, so they follow me?"

 

"The flies, Sam. Stages don't have ceilings."

 

"Sure looks like a ceiling to me."

 

Tuck smiled. "Me too, but this is a theater, so…"

 

"Got it. Can I have another shot at the scene, now?"

 

"Of course. Think of your motivation for moving, not just that I told you go right, or downstage, or whatever." Tuck put his arm around Sam's shoulders as they walked back inside. "God only knows it's not like there are a million people on stage that you have to stay clear of."

 

"That's true. Maybe we should have found a couple more kids?"

 

"Probably. But it's too late now. We're doing all right with what we have. No, I take that back. We're doing great. Another week and things will really begin pulling together the way they should. Then we'll add the real props, bits of costumes like Fagin's coat, since you and the guys have to get used to it for 'Pick a Pocket or Two'."

 

"I think that'll help a lot." Sam took a deep breath then went back on stage.

 

"Okay, everyone. One more time," Tuck called out, and they began the scene again. This time, Sam nailed it.

2 comments:

  1. hiccups are par for the course right even seasoned actors have off days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. But things will smooth out in time, I suspect.

      Delete