Thursday, September 27, 2018

(47) Two vampires, a ghoul and a shifter.


Week followed week until a month had passed since the revenant's destruction. Roderick left on another assignment for the King, returning once for a few tense days before leaving again.

As Linden and Helmut's relationship progressed, Piers watched, happy for his friends. He was miserable otherwise, however, each loving look or action between Linden and Helmut just reinforcing for him what he was missing and so desperately craved.

Linden was well aware of what was happening with Piers. There was no way he could have missed it. One taste of Piers' blood told him all, Piers was not feeding enough to keep even an elder vampire alive.

"Are you trying to starve yourself to death?" Linden had asked one evening, worried and angry. "Because you're coming close to doing so, which, as selfish as I might sound, would mean I'd need to find a new vampire to be bound to. And that could play hell with my life."

"Sorry," Piers had replied, meaning it. "I'm just—" he sighed deeply. "I just don't care anymore." He laid one hand on Linden's shoulder. "I mean I care about you. I'm not going to let you suffer, but to be quite honest you're the only reason I haven't walked into the sun. You're the only one who gives a damn about me, and don't—" he said, putting his hand over Linden's mouth, "try to tell me differently. You care as a friend; you would even if we weren't blood-bonded."

Linden would have debated that he wasn't the only one who cared, but he knew it wouldn't change how Piers felt.

Now, with Roderick due to return for a brief visit, Linden was tense with worry.

"We have to do something," he said, leaning on his elbow, looking at Helmut.

"I thought we just did," the shifter replied, yawning, "and rather well in my opinion."

"That's not what I mean and you know it." Linden swatted him somewhat harder than was necessary, wanting him to pay attention. "We need to talk to Roderick."

Helmut cocked an eyebrow. "Personally, been there, done that, and he won't listen."

"Well he's going to listen to me," Linden stated emphatically. "One way or another."

Helmut nodded, a small grin crossing his lips. "Somehow, if anyone can make him see reason I have the feeling it'll be you."

5 comments:

  1. Just want to hug Piers! Lin is a little hell cat love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin is, so maybe he'll come up with a resolution to Piers' problem.

      Delete
  2. I hope that Rod gets his head out of the ass so.

    I bought the new book plus order the next one coming out 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Thank you! I hope you enjoy reading them as much as I enjoyed writing them.

      Delete