Thursday, September 28, 2017

(15) When all else is lost the future still remains



“Don’t mind me, I’m just the hired help,” Shan told the Messenger, not relaxing his stance in the least.

“You can talk in front of him or leave,” Addie said shortly. 

The Messenger nodded. “May we at least sit rather than standing here waiting for him to try to kick me out?”

With ill grace Addie nodded. Once they were seated she said, “But what?”

"Addison I regret what occurred—many of us do. But that is in the past now. The future is what is important and we need to find a new King."

"Or Queen, don't forget." She stopped, staring at him as realization hit, shaking her head. "Oh no. I hope no one has their sights on me because that is not happening. I don't care if I'm the oldest of our kind in the whole damned world I am not interested. Understand."

"Yes, Mistress."

Addie eyed him skeptically. "First you're calling me Addison, now you're back to Mistress. I'm not liking what that's implying Messenger."

He chuckled. "As an ancient you deserve my respect when you issue what I suppose is an order of sorts."

"Well take my 'order' back to whoever sent you. Let them know I may, just may, attend the conclave but only to cast my vote for someone who deserves to be our King."

The Messenger bowed his head. "As you wish, but Addison please at least consider the idea."

She was about to tell him he should leave now when something occurred to her. “How did you find me, Messenger? I’ve made every effort to remain well hidden. Does this mean you know where I live now?”

"It does, through your friendship with Darshan. I had only to follow him to find your home, but I promise that I will keep your secret. My talents are numerous Addison, one of them being the ability to track the trail of a Were when he teleports. Don't worry, he is very skilled, amazingly so, but I am his equal in some things."

Addie studied him. "You're a vampire sorcerer?"

"It's possible, just as there are Weres who are sorcerers." He shot a look at Shan. “We’ll leave it at that for the moment. Now I must take my leave.”

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy something is up! And These yjree are in the middle eh? Awesome story

    ReplyDelete