Sunday, May 26, 2013

The family that preys together…- 33



Leaning his head back against the car window Kent studied Crispin’s profile as the man concentrated on the highway ahead of them. Finally, becoming aware of Kent’s scrutiny Crispin asked, “Just what are you doing?”

“Thinking, enjoying the view, wondering what’s going through your mind.”

“That I’m bushed and still have an hour’s drive home,” Crispin replied with a small smile. “And that I actually enjoyed myself this evening.”

“That surprises you?”

Crispin shrugged. “I’m not a social person as I think I’ve mentioned before, so yes it does.”

“Well you certainly fooled me and I think everyone else there.” Reaching across the console dividing them Kent stroked Crispin’s arm. “So see, when you relax and go with the flow you do just fine.”

Crisping looked down for a second, eyeing Kent’s hand warily, but didn’t move his arm. Kent, being nobody’s fool, did nothing more than leave his hand where it was for a few beats before removing it. He was encouraged but just minimally by that and single slightly possessive touch from Crispin earlier in the evening at the party. He knew the latter could just have been Crispin’s way of getting him moving but he was one to live on hope and he definitely hoped that there was something more happening between them. Of course, he had to acknowledge to himself, it was more than possible that on a conscious, mental level Crispin wasn’t even aware of it.

“Now where’s your mind going?” Crispin asked, breaking into Kent’s thoughts. When Kent hesitated Crispin said, “Turn about’s fair play and you did as me the same question."

With a laugh Kent replied, fudging the truth, “I was more spacing out than anything else but it did occur to me that if you don’t want to make that drive home I have a spare bedroom. Well not spare because it is Rick’s but last seen he was heading off with that really cute woman he works with. They have an on again, off again relationship and it looks like it’s on tonight.”

Crispin remained quiet for so long Kent began to wonder if he’d even heard him. Then he said, glancing hesitantly at Kent, “If you’re sure. I am dead on my feet almost. I’m not used to late hours like this to be quite honest.”

“I wouldn’t have offered if I didn’t mean it.”

“Then thank you, yes.”

No comments:

Post a Comment