Monday, May 20, 2013

The family that preys together…- 30



Kent slid into the seat, buckled up, looked at Crispin and asked with concern, “Are you alright?”

“Other than being nervous as all get out, yeah.”

“There’s nothing to be nervous about.” Kent checked him out, from the blue shirt that perfectly matched his eyes to the tight jeans to the casual shoes and back up again. “You look fantastic.”

“I look like I’m trying to be ten years younger than I am,” Crispin’s tone was wry as he pulled into traffic.

“Oh bull, not true, turn here,” Kent said in quick succession.

With a chuckle, following the last command, Crispin muttered, “A bit more notice next time?”

“Sorry. I’m used to driving not giving directions so I make the turn instinctively.”

“It’s alright.” Crispin reached over to pat his arm. “I’ll forgive you this time. How far to the next sudden turn?”

With a laugh Kent told him to get onto the highway at the next entrance, which he did. A few minutes later Kent gasped as a car veered into their lane, sped up and then cut back into the next lane seconds later. “I totally hate drivers like that,” he growled.

“Don’t we all. I’m sort of used to it since I’m on the highway coming and going practically every day, but it can be nerve-wracking, especially during rush hour.”

“Which is why, even though I have a car, I tend to take the bus as often as not. Not that I mind because I can read.”

Glancing over Crispin asked, “What sort of books do you like?” before concentrating on driving again.

“I’m pretty eclectic in my tastes, mostly fiction, mysteries, thrillers, whatever I find in the used book stores that strikes my fancy.”

They spent the next few minutes comparing books, with Kent interjecting addition directions to where they were going as needed. Finally they pulled onto a residential street and after they found a parking place Kent led the way to nice home in the center of the block.

No comments:

Post a Comment