Saturday, August 3, 2019

Fear - 44


An hour later Shawn was putting his shirt back on after Gene had given him a through examination to make certain his ribs were all right and that there'd been no major damage done by either Jared or the near accident.

"You'll live to fight another day," Gene said with a smile, as he waited for Shawn to finish dressing.

"I don't want to fight," Shawn protested.

"I know. It's just a saying. Now let's get you back to Max's so you can rest and recuperate."

"Uh-uh. I don't want to. I want to go back to the Farmer's Market. I never got Linda her present."

"Shawn," Gene said, shaking his head. "You've been through a lot today. You need to rest."

"But I don't want to, and you can't make me. I'm done taking orders. Well…unless they have to do with work that is. Otherwise, no way, no how."

Gene cocked an eyebrow. "What if I ask you politely to go home and get some sleep?"

"Not happening. I'm still too wound up." Shawn looked up at Gene, a sly grin on his face. "Of course you could help me unwind."

"True. I'll walk over to the Market with you and maybe buy us some supper after you've shopped."

"That's not what I meant," Shawn replied with a feigned pout.

Gene chuckled. "I know it wasn't but it's much too soon." He rubbed a knuckle along Shawn's jaw. "I'm not willing to be rebound material."

"You're not! I swear you're not. I…" Shawn sighed. "Okay, I don't think you are. I mean, I don't think that's what I'm doing."

"Exactly. And until you know for sure, I'm not going to take the chance. If we're going to have something more than friendship between us, we both have to be certain it's for the right reasons."

Shawn nodded. "I can live with that." He linked his arm with Gene's, tugging him toward the door. "For now though, we are going to the Market, and you are taking me out to eat afterwards. You promised."

"And I always keep my promises," Gene told him, smiling.

4 comments:

  1. Glad he is expressing himself... i really like that they have both expressed their interest in more.. but their caution is a good sign for more communication and good things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Both of them have to come to terms with things, first.

      Delete
  2. Go Shawn! Gene is gonna have his hands full for a while. Lol.

    ReplyDelete