Sunday, August 5, 2018

Guardian Angels – Ambivalent - 10


Early the next morning, Vic was pointing out the same thing to Paddy. "Who else but someone in Mike's family would have access to those photos?"
Paddy had shown up at Vic's office just before the man had arrived there. He knew he was on his way because, as his guardian angel—and he still was though not actively—he was able to link to Vic when necessary.
Vic shook his head when he walked into his office and saw Paddy sitting in the chair beside his desk. "My newest employee beat me here," he said, grinning. "And what was that all about? As if I didn't know."
Paddy quickly explained how he'd managed to work his way into Mike's life. "When I had to put down where I was working on the volunteer forms I had a brain storm. If I said I was a private investigator, and nudged Mr. Jones into commenting about that because, with Mike right there, I hoped maybe he'd say something to me about what was going on." He chuckled. "I didn't expect him to accuse me of working for Keefe but in the end it was a good thing. Thanks to you're backing me up, he wants to hire me—well us if you want to be technical since you're the boss."
"He can afford it?" Vic asked.
"Umm, about that. I sort of promised I'd talk to you and see if you'd be willing to give him a break on the costs."
"If I say no, will you do your nudging trick to make me change my mind?"
Paddy shook his head. "I could, but I wouldn't. I will however play on your Good Samaritan streak until you cave."
Vic laughed. "I have one?"
"Yeah, knowing you as well as I do, I know it's buried in there somewhere."
Vic blew out a long breath, then grinned. "As my newest employee I'm going to put you on his case, pro bono as the lawyers say."
"Meaning I don't get paid, but I get to pick your brain when I have to?"
"Got it in one."
"That works."
Once that was settled, Paddy told Vic everything he'd found out since they'd last talked, which was damned little. "When we went to supper, we ran over some ideas about who could have hired Keefe, but one reason doesn't come across as any more likely than another."
Vic nodded. "You said he had Mike's picture that he was flashing around."
"Yeah. One from before Mike left home."
"Who else but someone in Mike's family would have access to those photos? Did you ask Mike that?"
"No, because it never even occurred to me. That's a very good point."
Vic chuckled. "That's why I get paid the big bucks and you work for free."
After giving Vic the finger, Paddy took out his phone and called Mike. "It's a go," he said when Mike answered.
"Thank you! Umm," he hesitated. "How much will it cost me?"
"Not a red cent. Vic has a soft spot for street kids, even retired ones. Now I have a question."
"Tell Vic he has no idea how much I appreciate that. And I have a question too."
"Only one?" Paddy asked, chuckling. "Go for it."
"I guess it's not really a question, just… It has to be someone in my family. How else would Mr. Keefe have gotten my pictures?"
"Exactly what I was going to ask you."
"Two minds…" Mike replied with a light laugh. "Of course I only have Mr. Keefe's word for it that my father wanted everything that would remind him of me destroyed."
"And we know how truthful Keefe is," Paddy said dryly.
"Exactly."
Paddy glanced at Vic, mouthing, "Now what?"
"If he's not on his way to work, get him in here so the three of us can talk."
"I heard that," Mike said over the phone. "I don't have to be at the shelter until noon."
"Good. How soon can you be here?"
"Where's 'here'?"
Paddy told him, and Mike said it shouldn't take him more than twenty minutes.

4 comments: