Monday, March 4, 2013

Coming March 9th - 'Someone to Watch Over Me'

'Someone to Watch Over Me'
(Winterfield Series - Book Two) 


Blurb:
After celebrating his birthday at the local bar, Harley ends up wrapping his car around a tree. He wakes up in the hospital minus one leg. When he's released, he goes to live with his friend Dave, who arranges for a nurse to watch over him when he has to leave town.

As nurse Tabby takes Harley in hand, teaching him that he has to face his new life and move on, a tentative relationship beyond nurse and patient develops. And then Dave returns, throwing everything into a cocked hat.


Excerpt:


Prologue

My name is Harley, though most call me Harl for short.

I'm nothing special. I could do to lose a couple of pounds, maybe more than a couple. Yeah, so I'm working on that sorta. I'm stocky but tall enough to carry the weight without looking fat, not lean and hungry looking like my buddy Dave. I have coppery hair that goes blond in summer and blue eyes, a stark contrast to Dave's dark brown hair with its sun-bleached streaks and deep brown eyes.

I keep busy working, in a lackadaisical way. Take jobs when they come along, stash the cash to live on when they vanish or I get tired of the rat-race. I've eaten more free pizza and burritos cadged off of jobs in fast food joints than I like to think about.

Dave and I hang out together when he's not working the salmon boats in Alaska. We even room together when one or the other of us needs a place till we get our shit together again.

We've been best of friends since we were fourteen. We're in our mid-twenties now and still trying to figure out exactly what we want out of life. There has to be something more than hanging in bars after work, which we've done from the time both of us were old enough to know that the difference between males and females was more than whether or not someone had, as one friend of ours put it, "dangly bits or pillows".

Hanging out, sharing pitchers of beer, eyeing the ladies, being eyed back, ending up more often than not in some strange woman's bed, or with a strange woman in ours. That's how Dave and I lived our lives—until everything changed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment