Thursday, March 21, 2013

Caomhnóir – Manny - 44



“You can still return to your old life. I’ll get you a return ticket if that’s what you want.” Manny took a step towards Hamlin, freezing when he glared at him with a shake of his head. “I don’t want you to leave,” Manny whispered, “but if that’s what you want to do—I understand.”

“Are there any other secrets you’d like to reveal,” Hamlin asked, his voice still icy.

Bowing his head, Manny told him quietly, “No.”

Hamlin stood where he was, his eyes slowly moving over Manny, taking in the defeated posture of his stance and the lost look on his face. “How often does this happen?”

“Sometimes, every other year, sometimes not for several years; it depends if I’m needed somewhere else, in some other time.”

“And there you do the same sort of thing you do here?”

Manny nodded.

“Is it only for a year?”

“Yes. Even if the job only takes a little while I can only travel through the veil on one day of the year, All Hallows’ Eve.” Manny smiled humorlessly. “Keegan—well for whatever reason, he’s lucky now, he can tell Alasdair he won’t do that. I don’t have that option. If Sofietje says I have to go then I have to go.”

“That’s not fair you know. They shouldn’t be able to rule your life like that,” Hamlin said angrily.

“It was a choice I made willingly, eternal servitude rather than an eternity suffering for my sin. It’s a choice we all make, Caomhnóir or Scriostóir.”

“But damn it you’ve redeemed yourself over and over again. Don’t they give you Brownie points for that?”

Manny chuckled ruefully. “Nope.”

“That just sucks.” Hamlin moved into Manny’s space, stroking his fingers along his jaw, “For both of us. But if you can live with it I guess I can too.”

Catching his hand, holding it tightly, Manny asked, “Are you certain?” 

“Yeah. You see I have this problem. I love you. I’d rather be without you for a year now and then, than forever.”

Manny let out a heartfelt sigh of relief. “I love you too, so damned much.”

“Then how about you show me.” Hamlin looked around, frowning. “There is a bed somewhere here I hope.”

“Yes.” Manny pointed to the sofa. “It folds out into one, a surprising comfortable one actually.”

Hamlin grinned, giving Manny a light shove towards it. “Well get it unfolded.”

Manny did, and then they made use of it, several times. 

The End

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for another great serial Edward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suze. The next one up is very different.

      Delete