Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Sing for Their Supper -2


When they got to Tuck's car, parked half a block from the building, Sam hesitated.

"I promise. I'm not going to do anything more than give you a ride," Tuck told him.

"How come you were down here, anyway?"

"I was on my way home. I saw those guys and it seemed like they were looking for trouble, so I decided to check it out."

"Like you could have taken them on."

"It would have been dicey, but I would have tried."

Sam eyed him. "You hiding a gun under your coat?"

"Nope. I was an army brat in my last life and my dad taught me self-defense."

"Bet he's not too happy you're an actor, now."

"I don't think he'd have minded."

"He's dead?"

Tuck nodded. "He didn't make it home from his last deployment."

"Shit."

"Yeah. Anyway, are you going to get in"—Tuck tapped the car—"or go back and take your chances in that building?"

Sam answered by opening the door and sliding into the passenger seat after putting his guitar case in the back seat. Tuck got in, turned the key in the ignition, then asked, "Where to?" When Sam told him, he pulled the car onto the dark street and headed north to the shelter.

"How old are you?" Tuck asked as they drove.

"Old enough," Sam replied.

"Meaning what? Over sixteen but not twenty-one yet?" Tuck figured Sam had to be at least eighteen.

"Yeah." Sam stayed quiet for a couple of blocks, then obviously relented. "I turned nineteen a month ago. Before you ask, I've been on my own for the last three years, since my folks died."

"Damn. Sorry."

"Don't be. I'm used to it."

"No other family you could have stayed with?" Tuck asked.

"Yes to family. No to staying with them. They didn't want me. I didn't want them. They don't approve of my life choices."

"Your interest in music, or, and I'm guessing here, the fact you're gay."

"Good guess. What gave it away?"

"Nothing, from looking at you," Tuck said. "It's just one of the main reasons a family doesn't want a son around. Did your parents feel the same way?"

"Yeah, but they tolerated me. Made it real clear that's what they were doing—tolerating me until I graduated high school. Then they…" Sam stared out the car window. "Remember that tornado that hit Oklahoma City? My folks were there, visiting my aunt. My aunt survived. My folks didn't."

"Hell of a way to go," Tuck said.

"And they didn't end up in Oz," Sam replied with a weak smile. "Sorry. If I don't joke about it…"

"I understand. It still hurts."

"Yeah, it does sometimes. Anyway, now you know why I'm out here, not living at home."

5 comments:

  1. I’m gonna love this so hard. OMFGODDESSS wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sad...and so young... never understand love being based how acceptable a child is or on your sexual orientation.. this looking good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but people can be really stupid and mean.

      Delete
  3. I can never understand it either. I support my daughter all the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In an ideal world all parents would, Debby. Unfortunately this is not that world.

      Delete