Wednesday, May 7, 2014

29 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



“I’m sorry sir but the gallery is closed.”

Merlyn nodded at the cop’s words. “I’m aware of that but I need to go inside anyway. Is Detective Jonas here?”

“That depends. Who are you?”

“Merlyn Knight. I’m… I was a client of Mr. Weber’s. There are several pieces of mine on display that I would like to retrieve if possible.”

“This is a crime scene as I’m sure you’re aware, Mr. Knight, so it won’t be possible.” The sneering look of distrust on the cop’s face said it all. There was no way he would let Detective Jonas know he was here.

“You sir are an ass,” Merlyn grumbled in his best Alton impression as he took out his cell. Scanning through his caller ID list he found the detective’s phone number and called her. “I’m outside and the… nice… cop here is unwilling to let me in. Can you do something about that please?”

He could almost see her debating on the wisdom of allowing him entrance but in the end she agreed to. As he hung up he could see her coming into the gallery from the back. She unlocked the front door and told the cop it was alright to let him pass.

“Is there a reason you’re here?” the detective asked as she locked up again.

“Yes. I want to go through the gallery’s files.”

“What are you looking for?”

“That’s a good question. I’m not really sure but I’ll know when I find it.”

“Mr. Knight, I can’t just let you rifle through them. You really don’t have any right to. We can’t even access them until we get a warrant.”

Merlyn smiled. “Even if I’m looking for my contract with the gallery because I want to retrieve the pieces of my work on display and in storage here? I need to see when I can legally do that you know.”

She tapped a finger on her lips and then grinned slightly. “Well I suppose I could be convinced that you have a legitimate reason to get into the files. But I’ll be watching you every second.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.”

She led him back to the office, cautioning him not to touch anything other than the file cabinets. “The crime scene techs have been over the place with a fine-toothed comb of course but I still don’t want anything disturbed.”

“Understood.”

2 comments:

  1. CRAP! I will NEVER get used to the abrupt ENDS! Another two days, another two days, another two days....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO. They will pass quickly. You just have to find something else to amuse yourself with until Friday morning.

      Delete