Friday, March 7, 2014

The Prince and I - 35



“I was looking for you.” Connor’s look was guileless. But then he always had had the ability to make a statement seem both innocent and obvious.

I wanted to run, to get as far away from him as fast as possible before I got hurt again. Wanting to and doing were two different things however. My feet seemed frozen in place as I wet my lips and tried to reply. “Well you found me. Now… vanish… again.” Anger took over. “Go back to wherever the hell it is you came from and leave me the hell alone!” I whipped past him and was out the door seconds later, veering left and dashing past a group of girls heading who knew where. At least they’d cover my retreat.

I ran, trying not to fall on slippery sidewalks, plowing through the snow when I got to a park until I was so breathless I had to stop. Bending, I put my hands on me knees, gasping in deep breaths. I heard a soft chuckle behind me and spun around.

Arms enfolded me, lips found mine and we were back to where we had been before he disappeared. The kiss seemed to go on and on…and to be too short.

I broke it, pushing him away angrily. “You never even said goodbye.”

“I had no choice in the matter.”

“You forgot how to walk back down the stairs?”

Connor sighed. “Oh I walked down them and into the arms of three of my uncle’s bodyguards. Before I could do anything they whisked me away so to speak.” He wrapped his arms around himself and I realized he was shivering. No wonder either; he was wearing a light jacket and tennis shoes. Hardly gear for snow and cold.

I knew I was asking for trouble but I couldn’t let him freeze to death. “Come on, I don’t live far from here.” Taking off my thick scarf I handed it to him and he wound it around his neck, burying his hands in the remainder.

When we reached the apartment I headed straight to the bedroom after kicking off my boots and dumping my coat on the sofa. I came back with a thick sweater which I practically ordered him to put on. While he did I went into the kitchen and set water boiling for tea. I heard him come to the doorway and stop.

“You can come in. I’m not going to bite, or yell.”

“Promise?”

“Yeah, so stop hovering and sit down.” I heard a chair move and turned to see him watching me almost shyly.

“You haven’t changed much.” His gaze ran the length of my body and back to my face.

“You haven’t changed at all,” I countered. “You’re still a brat who thinks he can have whatever he wants.”

“That’s unfair and untrue.”

“Is it, Connor?” I put teabags in two cups, poured water in and handed one to him before sitting down across the table from him.

“I never meant to hurt you.”

“Probably not but you did. And if I let you back into my life you will again the next time you have to go back.”

Emotions I couldn’t read flashed across his face as he dipped the teabag. He took it out and tossed it into the sink then took a drink. “Hot,” he muttered.

“No shit.”

Setting the cup down, he began to say something and hesitated.

2 comments:

  1. Oh crap! You end it there? Dang it! Now I have to wait again and I have to tell you, practicing something is supposed to make you better at it, right? Well, it's not working for me! Awesome update! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete