Sunday, January 26, 2014

The Prince and I - 15



Once again Connor surprised me, inching closer to ask, “Where are you sensitive?”

“Umm, places you’re not going to find out about right now, if ever. This isn’t the time or the place.”

He stared at me for a long moment, his look, if I had to describe it, both knowing and pensive. “But there will be a time and place.” His words brushed over me like a sensual touch and I shivered.

“Yeah, maybe,” I growled, needing to break away from whatever was happening.

“For now," he said, "we should get some sleep.”

“Not here though. We don’t want the construction workers finding us.” Or anyone else. I immediately asked, “How are those men finding you when your uncle can’t?”

“I wish I knew.” He chewed his lip.

“Would you be safer if you went back to your uncle? Okay, that was a stupid question. Of course you would.”

“Perhaps, perhaps not.” He bounced to his feet, dousing the light from the amulet. “You’re right, we should get out of here.”

I was up, my pack over one shoulder, seconds later. “Are your ‘friends’ around somewhere?”

“No, but I think we should go. Until I figure out how they are finding me nowhere is safe for long.”

“We were okay last night,” I pointed out once we were in the alley.

“True, and I was—until the first time they almost caught me. What changed then?”

“Now that I wouldn’t know. Maybe they’re monitoring surveillance cameras; lots of places have them outside their businesses, like banks and what have you.”

“Would that be possible?”

I shrugged. “Not sure how they’d gain access.”

We walked in silence back to the creek path, lost in our own thoughts. I realized I believed his story, as strange as it was. I also discovered I was feeling very protective of him—which to my mind made no sense. After all he was the one who probably had ‘powers’, if the games I used to play way back where were any indication. “I’m living in an episode of D&D,” I muttered.

Connor stopped to look at me. “D and D?”

“It’s a game with all sorts of mythical creatures.”

“I’m not mythical,” he pointed out rather sourly.

“I’m getting that, but you have to admit you’re not exactly a run of the mill human either.”

“Because I’m not human.”

“Exactly.” I glanced along the path. “We’d better find a safe place to sleep. Somewhere where no one will see us even during the day because I’ve got the feeling we’re tired enough we won’t be getting up with the sun this time. At least there’s no cameras along here.”

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome! Love this. More!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. No, Hurri. I thought I stop it here and start up with some other story. -grinning-

      Delete
  2. Then we are back to that whole Kathy Bates thing and I really have trouble lifting that heavy sledgehammer and all. However, I probably wouldn't have any trouble with the tie downs...

    ReplyDelete