Saturday, January 18, 2020

Shadow Men – 6– Rafe and Steele


There was a soft chuckle before the man replied, "Considering who you probably work for, you shouldn't. Especially if he told you why he wanted," there was a slight hesitation, "me found. The real reason that is."
"Which would be?" Rafe asked. "What he told us was that you, well, I'm presuming it's you if you're Jensen, had disappeared after meeting with an informant."
"And he was just oh so terribly worried for my safety," the man said, a sneer in his voice. "So he sent his best team out to 'rescue' me."
"You know who I am?"
"I do. I recognized you when you came into the pub. You're infamous among those who work for the Colonel. Oh, and to answer your question—no, I'm not Jensen but I can take you to him."
Rafe snorted. "I should just walk out of here with you, not even knowing who you are or if you're on our side or not. I don't think so." He heard something drop to the floor then the man kicked it into the light. It was a small metal box about the size of a cigarette pack. Cautiously, while he kept his gun trained on the area where the man stood, Rafe knelt to pick it up.
"Open it. I think you'll see the proof you need."
Rafe did so and then cocked one eyebrow. "This works. Take me to him."
The man stepped into view. He was younger than Rafe would have expected from his voice, slender but obviously well-muscled under the turtleneck he wore. "The gun," the man said with a slight hint of amusement in his voice.
Rafe nodded, holstered it, and at the same time let a thin stiletto drop from its wrist sheath into his other hand. He might feel a bit more trusting than he had a moment ago but he was no fool. Until he was quite certain this wasn't a trap, he would not remain totally unarmed.
"Follow me," the man said as he crossed to the back of the office, to a door with a keypad beside it. He tapped in a code then opened the door to step outside.
"Stay in view," Rafe ordered. When the man moved under the overhead light above the door Rafe waited for a heartbeat and then joined him, quickly stepping behind him and turning to make certain no one was outside the door. "Where to now," Rafe asked a moment later.
"You'll see, but first I'd like your partner to join us. He has as much of a vested interest in the story Jensen has to tell as you do."
"This sounds interesting."
"I think you'll find that it is." The man drummed his fingers lightly on his thigh then gave Rafe an address. "Have him meet us there, please."

4 comments:

  1. We may have a problem Houston with either the higher ups are getting dirty or someone wants people to think they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the plot gets complicated... here comes the twisty turny good stuff.. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twisty turny is good, I think. *G* I'm glad you like it so far.

      Delete