Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Hotel - 2


"We have two young women who serve as maids and general help, our bartender, who also helps Logan when necessary, and an assistant cook, as well," Edwin replied to Caitlin's question. "And you are?" He smiled at her.

"Caitlin. I'm the resident costumer."

"A pleasure to meet you." Edwin looked at the rest of our company. "Austin, would you do the introductions, please?"

"Gladly. The other women are Jenn and Tessa, both actresses. Kirby, Phil, and Ramsey are our actors." I gestured to each person as I named them. "Noah acts, too, and will be our Renfield, but he's primarily our make-up artist. Marsh does lighting and tech,"

"Not that we need me for the tech end, since we're not using any sets," Marsh added.

I chuckled. "Making my being here superfluous."

"Not even," Noah protested. "You're the founder of our little troupe, as well as the resident director in between your designing chores."

At that moment a young woman appeared, dressed in black slacks and a white blouse. "This is Felicia, our reservations clerk," Edwin said. "She'll show you to your rooms. Once you're settled in, feel free to come back downstairs and she'll give you the grand tour."

"My pleasure," Felicia said. "If you'll follow me." She led the way to an elevator at the back of the entry hall, between two flights of stairs leading to the second floor. "It's old, and slow," she said with a smile as she pressed the button to open the grilled door, "so be prepared."

"Is this original?" I asked when we'd all crowded in.

"Yes. From what I've been told, the man who built the mansion was elderly and in a wheelchair so he needed it."

She'd been correct, the ride up was slow, but we got to the third floor, stepping out into a long hallway with the same dark oak paneling as the downstairs entry hall. There were doors on either side, belonging, Felicia said, to the guest rooms. "Feel free to take whichever ones you want. You'll be the only people up here."

"Seriously?" Kirby said, looking surprised.

"Yes. Mr. Delaney set the entire floor aside for your use."

"No keys?" I asked as I opened one of the doors.

Felicia took a key ring from her pocket. "I have them, but it's perfectly safe to leave your doors unlocked."

"Still…" I held out my hand and she handed me the keys. Each one was marked with a number corresponding to the ones on the room doors.

"I'll see you when you come back downstairs," she said before leaving.

"It looks like there's ten rooms, and nine of us, so have at it," I said to the troupe. I liked the room I was looking into. It was large, with beige walls above dark wainscoting. A huge bed and two nightstands stood against the side wall, with a matching dresser across from them. A table with two chairs sat in front of a large window which looked out, I discovered, over the lake. "I hope they have WiFi," I murmured.

"We do," Logan replied from the doorway, startling me. "I have your bags, if you'll come claim them," he told me and the others while handing me the keys to the bus. "I put the wardrobe boxes and the ones labeled 'Props' and 'Lights' in the room you'll be using for your performance."

I thanked him, pocketing the keys.

2 comments: