Tuesday, October 9, 2018

(53) Two vampires, a ghoul and a shifter.


Helmut still found it hard to believe Linden had pulled it off. It was even harder for Helmut to believe that as a result he was now Piers bodyguard when the young vampire accompanied Roderick on his assignments for the King.

"Aren't you just throwing your relationship with Piers right in the King's face," he'd asked with some concern when Roderick had told him what he wanted.

"Not if we're both careful. He's come on trips with me before, both him and Linden. They usually stay at whatever house I've been given for the duration.

"Houses staffed by the King's people, I suspect. That's going to play hell with your love life."

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, be ready to leave tomorrow evening."

"For where?"

"Napoli."  

"Where love is king," Helmut said with a bit of a smirk. "I'll have to dig out my old Dean Martin records."

"Only you." Roderick shook his head in amusement. "Seriously though, be prepared for anything. The regional king that I'll be dealing with wants to break all ties with the supreme King, which obviously doesn't sit well with him."

"So you're going to try to negotiate some sort of truce?"

"Hopefully. The King is willing to make some small concessions if absolutely necessary, but he'd much rather I put this one in his place before any of the others start getting ideas."

Helmut nodded. "What are your feelings about that?"

"That's a good question. Until a few days ago, I would have said I had no real doubts as to what the outcome should be. Now, I'm not quite so firm in my belief that what the King says must always be adhered to. Linden made a very persuasive argument against that, at least on some levels. So my dealings with Signore Pavoni may be more impartial, perhaps, than they would have been before. That will depend on his reasons for wanting to break away of course."

"What happens if you side with Pavoni?"

Roderick smiled tightly. "Only time will tell."

4 comments:

  1. Holy shit! Aaaccckkkk something is about to go down! Get ready to rumble ��! So in love with this story but I love each one right?

    ReplyDelete