Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I could a tale unfold - 2



Ross sat at the bar, nursing a drink while listening to the house band murder a classic song that they were obviously too young to have heard in the original.

He knew he had no right to have gone off on Kirk, but damn it, walking into their bedroom to find his lover in bed with Hildie had pissed him off big time. He'd thrown out that comment intending to hurt both of them, even though it was a total fabrication. Yeah, Hildie's husband was bi, just like Kirk, and he did play around, but he'd never come on to Ross. He knew better.

"Who pissed in your Wheaties?" someone asked, touching Ross' shoulder.

He spun around and smiled slightly. "Me, actually. I think I made a mountain out of a molehill."

"Kirk had his dick where it shouldn't have been again?" Micah asked, taking the vacant seat beside Ross.

"You know him well," Ross replied, chuckling.

"Very well actually, but you know that." Micah had been one of Kirk's casual lovers before Ross had met either of them, and he made no secret of it. Not that it bothered Ross—too much anyway.

Ross told him what had happened, ending by saying, "I of course threw a minor hissy fit."

"You? You're the model of decorum. I so can't see you doing that."

"It was more caustic than 'hissy'," Kirk said, grabbing the stool on the other side of Ross. He wrapped one arm around Ross, pulling him back against his chest while being careful he didn't fall off his seat. "Sorry," he said contritely. "It was a really crummy thing to do on my part." 

Ross turned his head to look at his lover. "You think?"

"I know." He made an exaggeratedly sad face while batting his thick eyelashes. "Can you ever forgive me?"

Micah snorted as he watched him. "Always the clown, Kirk."

"I'm debating between Pagliacci and 'It'," Ross muttered.

"I'm devastated you'd even consider 'It'," was Kirk's reply, clutching his heart dramatically. Of course, in order to do that he had to loosen his hold on Ross. This led to Ross starting to fall off his barstool. Kirk made a grab for him, teetered, and they both ended up on the floor.

"You two okay down there," the bartender asked, leaning over the bar to check.

Kirk looked at Ross, Ross looked back, and they both started laughing. "Yeah," Ross replied, "We're good."

2 comments:

  1. Wow again. I guess I will have to be patient in finding out why Ross is so quick to forgive being unfaithful. But that was a wonderful scene and a great insight to their personalities. I love that about your writing. You do so well with conversations. You can really "see" a person with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. It comes from a play writing class I took eons ago, I think.

      Delete