Monday, May 5, 2014

28 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



“I know you are not a killer. My heart tells me so. And, if you want the truth, you are the first man I have ever made love to.”

Merlyn pulled back to stare at Alan, shaking his head. “How can I believe that when you’re so… such a fantastic lover?”

“You think I would lie to you? I was…” He stopped, gazing at Merlyn. “It’s true. You are the first. The only one. I think perhaps this is fated, that I was created to show you that you have worth, that someone can love you and care for you the way you deserve.” He dropped his eyes from Merlyn’s, saying softly, “Does that sound insane?”

“It sounds crazy and poetic and just what I needed to hear right now. I’m not quite sure how you manage it but you make me feel glad to be alive for the first time in forever.”

“Good,” Alan replied before drawing him back so that he could kiss him gently. “Alive is very good, and you are very alive and make me feel as if I was too.” He smiled somewhat grimly then. “And we have to do something to make certain you stay alive. Like find the killer before he completes his agenda.”

 “Alan,” Merlyn said, suddenly realizing something. “Is it alright that you’re here and not with the man you work for?”

“Damn, what time is it?” Alan looked around for a clock. “I could be in deep trouble. I told him I was going shopping to get some things the housekeeper needed.” He didn’t look at Merlyn as he said that, crossing the room instead to pick up his jacket from where he’d dropped it after showing the detective the sketch.

“Do you want me to drive you?”

Alan thought for a moment then nodded. “I could use a ride to the store.”

“And home after that?”

“No. The chauffeur will pick me up. He’s probably wondering what’s been taking me so long as it is.”

“Let’s get a move on then. I don’t want you loosing your job even though it does keep you on a tight leash.” Merlyn grabbed his keys off the side table. “How far are we going?”

“Just a few blocks.”

Ten minutes later they were pulling up behind one of the shops in the center of the city. Before getting out of the car Alan leaned in to kiss Merlyn and get one in return. “I’ll call you,” he said as he slid out of the passenger seat. “Soon, if I can figure out how to get some more time for myself again.”

“I’ll be waiting. I hope your boss doesn’t ground you for being late today.”

Alan grinned. “I’ll come up with a good excuse. Now I’d better get. I’m sure the chauffeur has been here for a while. I just hope he hasn’t decided to search the shop for me. That could be a problem.”

“Go then, and hurry.” Merlyn bit his lip before pronouncing suddenly, “Love you.”

If Alan’s grin could have gotten any wider it would have as he declared, “I love you too.” Then he closed the car door and quickly vanished through the back door of the shop.

It wasn’t until he’d pulled back into traffic that Merlyn realized he’d never found out how Alan had managed to get into the house and up to the studio without his being aware of it. He would have to ask the next time they were together. But for now he had something he wanted to do, if he could gain access to the gallery.

4 comments:

  1. Dang! I wanted to know that too, how he got in. He is suspicious although I really want to like him. Can't want for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'As if I was too" ???? Told you I got an 'other world' tingly. :o). :o. I really like this story!!

    ReplyDelete