Saturday, March 15, 2014

3 - There dwells a spirit, waiting to be released



“No Alt, I do not want to go clubbing with you. I’m in the middle of something and can’t just drop everything at your whim.” Merlyn walked around the large mass of marble again, the phone tucked between his ear and his shoulder as he studied the roughed-out form. Envisioning what needed to go next he put the phone on speaker. Then he picked up his mallet and pitching tool and set to work, rhythmically removing small sections until he was satisfied. While he did he listened with half a mind to Alton’s ramblings about how it was time for him to ‘get a life, again’.



“Merlyn!” Alton’s exasperated voice shouted over the phone. “Pay attention.”



Putting his tools down, Merlyn picked the phone up again. “I have been.”



“So you’re going to stop for now and come with me?”



“Will you quit nagging me if I say yes?”



“Nag?” Alton sounded horrified. “I don’t nag. I ask sweetly and gently for your companionship in venturing into the wilds of the clubs.”



Merlyn snorted. “You nag, and very well I might add. Alright, give me an hour or so to get ready. But stand warned, this is the first and last time. I have to finish this sculpture. It’s a commission as you well know.”



“Deal. And please make certain you’re not wearing half of it. Shower, get the chips out of your hair, and wear those sexy leather pants and…”



“Alton, I am quite able to dress myself in proper clothes. Honestly, you’d think you were my mother, not my agent.”



“Sweetie I don’t think your mother would be telling you to dress sexy.”



With a laugh Merlyn agreed. While his mother had long ago accepted his sexual preferences she still was not comfortable with the idea that he hung out at ‘those’ clubs. Or had until he’d met Elliot. The thought of the man quickly dampened his mood until he sternly told himself that Alton had it right, it was time for him to start living again.



“Alright, I’ll be ready in an hour. Will the green shirt meet with your approval ‘mother’?”



“Wise ass. And yes it will. See you then.”



2 comments:

  1. I have known this was here and ready for me to read for over two days! I just have not been able to get here! I finally, finally had a break in my life enough to sit down to relax and... Ahhhhh! I really honestly can't wait for more. Thank you for sharing and keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy, busy you. The next one is, or will be in a couple of minutes, up.

      Delete