Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Prince and I - 8



Connor remained silent, just nodding. Then, when I was about to ask what happened, he said, “Not a fight. Two guys thought I was… umm… I was something they wanted is what they said.”

“Aw shit. Did they…?”

He looked up then, a tiny smile on his face. “No. I got away.”

“You were damned lucky.”

He nodded, going quiet again. But there was a strange look in his eyes. If I’d had to put a name to it, it was triumph. Like however he’d gotten away from his attackers it was more than just seeing the chance and running. I would have asked but I had the feeling he wouldn’t have told me. Not sure why I felt that but I did.

“Can I ask you something?” Connor looked at me like he was afraid I’d say ‘no’.

“Yeah sure. What?”

“What does spanging mean?”

“You’re on the streets and you don’t know? Okay, it means you’re begging for spare change. ‘Spare’ plus ‘change’. Spange. Get it?”

“Yes.” He twisted his hands together, frowning. “I was afraid if I did that the police would arrest me.”

I snorted. “If they arrested all of us who do it there’s be no room in the jails for the real criminals. They’ll just hassle you and tell you to move on.” I eyed him again. “When’s the last time you had some real food?”

“Umm…” He shrugged.

“Thought so. Okay, look, I’m not trying to come on to you or anything but if you want, I have a couple of dollars thanks to those nice people at table one.” I nodded toward the table where I’d copped the tip. “I’ll buy both of us a couple of burgers or better yet a couple of subs if you don’t mind a bit of a walk.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why will you buy one for me?”

My turn to shrug. “Why not? You look like you could use it, I got the cash, so…”

It took him a long time to make up his mind. While he was I just stood there, watching the passing scene so to speak. Finally he agreed.

We walked for a long time in silence, twelve blocks from where we’d met to be exact. I stopped in front of the sub place, asking if it was okay with him. He smiled, his eyes lighting up. I guessed that was a yes. A few minutes later, once I’d proved to the guy at the counter I had the cash, Connor and I walked out with two subs with all the fixings.

I suggested we go down by the creek—which was only a few blocks farther on—so we could eat in peace.

“Is it safe?” he asked hesitantly. “It’s dark now.”

“It’s been dark for the last hour in case you haven’t noticed.” I almost used his name, which since I realized I hadn’t asked what it was would have been a big mistake. So I did ask, saying, “I never introduced myself. I’m Richie.” I wondered then if he’d give me his real name.

“I’m… Connor.”

“Hi, Connor. So… Yes it’s safe, at least the part where we’re heading.”

“Okay.” He looked longingly at the bag with his sandwich.

I laughed. “You don’t have to wait until we’re there to eat it. Honest.”

“I can though. Honest.” He actually grinned, the first time since I’d met him.

Although we didn’t talk any more until we got to the creek I sensed he was finally more relaxed than he had been. I led him to the edge of the creek and the rocks that made a good place to sit and eat, and talk---hopefully. I might have finally found Connor, but there was no way I was going to call Arthur and let him know until I discovered why he’d left home.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome. So what can Connor do? What exactly did he do to "escape"? Can't wait for more!

    ReplyDelete