Friday, January 10, 2014

The Prince and I - 7



‘Boots’ is another daytime drop-in center. It got its name ‘cause they hand out boots to any kid who needs them. It’s a good place if you don’t mind a bit of God talk with the meals or when you’re hitting up the clothing bank. I got there right around supper time. They knew me there so when I flopped down on one of the sofas in the main room a couple of the regulars came over to join me. I flashed Connor’s picture again without much hope. Jackie, who’s about sixteen I think and has been on the streets since he was ten according to what he says, snagged it.

“This is one weird dude. Don’t talk to no one. Just watches. You look at him and he vanishes around the nearest corner.”

“Shit, where have you seen him?”

“Here and there. He was here yesterday. Got a couple of shirts then bam he was outta here.”

“Always in this area?” I asked.

“Naw. Most times I’ve seen him on the Hill. He just wanders like he’s lost, you know, and watches. Never spanges or flies a sign. Strange thing is he’s always like neat you know. Least until yesterday. I think someone roughed him up and he didn’t get cleaned up. Probably why he was using the clothes bank.”

“Thanks Jackie, I owe you,” I told him before hitting the sidewalks.

Of course the Hill—Capitol Hill to be exact—wasn’t exactly empty of street people and dealers. In fact there were blocks on the main street, Colfax, which regular people would walk fast along even during the day.

When I got there I kept moving rather than settling in one spot. Less likely to get hassled that way by the regulars or the cops. As I walked I checked out every blond dude I passed. Nada, nothing.

I spread out a bit, going north to Sixteenth and Seventeenth, checking out parking lots and alleys along the way. I could have bought any drug on the market while I did that, if I’d been so inclined. Or made a few bucks if I’d been willing to jump in some stranger’s car to give a quick blow-job. I passed on both.

But I did find what, or more to the point who I’d spent too many days looking for.

It took me more than a few looks at the kid to be sure it was him. He was leaning against the wall of a restaurant on Seventeenth, right next to the cut-through between it and the next building. He did look rough, and roughed up. Someone had definitely jumped him and pretty recently I’d have guessed from the livid bruise on one cheek.

From what Jackie had said I figured just walking up to Connor would send him running so I strolled past him, checking out the restaurant’s sidewalk patio. A couple had just vacated a table right by the railing, stupidly leaving their tip where anyone could grab it. So I did, glancing back a Connor as I pocketed it. I knew he’d been watching because he immediately dropped his eyes and turned away.

I kept moving until I reached the end of the block then turned back. He was still standing there—from what I could tell doing nothing. Just staring off across the street. Maybe he was people watching; maybe he was lost in his own thoughts.

As I passed him again I almost broke out laughing when he said quietly, “That was stealing you know.”

I came to a stop with a nod. “Yeah, and? You do what you have to sometimes. You should know. From the look of it you’re on the streets just like me.” I tensed as I talked, ready to take off after him if he tried to pull a vanishing act.

He didn’t run, but he didn’t answer me either. I took a chance and leaned against the wall next to him. For a long time neither of us said a word, at least to each other. I did go into my ‘I’m homeless and hungry’ routine a few of times when people walked by, and even managed to make a couple of bucks in the process.

“Is that all it takes?”

I heard a note of surprise in his voice and nodded. “You haven’t tried it?” I was as surprised as he seemed to be. “How’ve you been making it if you haven’t been spanging?”

“I…” There was a very long pause. “I get food out of the dumpsters and there are places where they give you clothes if you need them.” He sounded ashamed about doing that.

“Yeah I know. Downtown. I go to them once in a while if it gets tough.” I finally took the chance and turned to look fully at him. He immediately lowered his head, staring down at the sidewalk. But he didn’t run, which was a step in the right direction. “Get in a fight?” I asked.

3 comments:

  1. He found him! Now what? Can't wait to find out. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hurri. And you didn't even have to break my leg. Or was it a foot? LOL

      Delete
    2. :) I'll keep it as an option.

      Delete