Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Where have all the bookstores gone…..


Long time passing?

That’s what I want to know. Okay, I’ll admit I don’t own a car so I can’t just jump in and spend gas money driving to one of the few several miles from me.

The question really hit me last week. I grocery shop at a store by a high-end mall two miles from home. The mall is also cheek-by-jowl with three streets of high-end shops. Is there a book store anywhere there? No. There used to be. One of the best indy bookstores in the city was across the street from the mall until a couple of years ago. It was a great loss when it moved but there was still a bookstore in the mall. I found out last week it too had vanished.

Now the only place I can buy books (without taking a bus or two to get to Barnes-Noble or the relocated indy, or used bookshops somewhere) is in the grocery store or the drugstore next door to it. Do you know what they carry? –rolling my eyes- Pseudo best-sellers and romances. Don’t shoot me but I’m not a big fan of m/f gushy romances. Sorry.

Anyway, the point of this ‘rant’ is…

Don’t people like to go to bookstores any more to choose their books? Have they lost the desire to browse and touch and decide that way if they want a book? Or spot one on the shelves that they didn’t even know they wanted until they saw it?

It’s beginning to look as if they have, at least to me. And that’s a real pity in my book. (excuse the pun)

E.  

4 comments:

  1. Oy bruva, what does cheek by jowl mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very close together, Shame. Like your cheeks are right by your jowls (jaws)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I am so glad I have one just two blocks away and its basically the only one in town. I love shopping in book stores. I love the smell and the feel of them. It will be a very sad day when they no longer exist. It seems that, that time is closing in on us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately I'm afraid so, Cale, and it'll be a much sadder world when it does.

    ReplyDelete