Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mario - A Story - 4




Maria looked at her brother and immediately asked him what had happened.

“Jonah happened,” Mario replied once he was certain Wil was busy playing with his cousins. “He showed up at the restaurant and then in the park. The scary thing is I chose the park at random.”

“He’s stalking you, Mario. Damn it.” She sat down abruptly on the sofa to look up at him as he paced. “You have to move for starters, and…and tell the police.”

“Tell them what? He doesn’t come to the apartment, or threaten me. He’s just…there.” He stopped pacing to sit down as well. “But moving might be a good idea. I just have to find a place and then do it without his knowing. Just in case.”

Maria nodded. “I’ve got a friend at work who owns a small duplex. She was moaning about not being able to find someone to live in the other half that she felt comfortable about having there. I can ask her.”

“How expensive, do you know?”

“Probably no worse than where you’re at now, and she might be willing to cut a deal to have a man with a family next door, even if it is just you and Wil. You want me to talk to her?”

“Yeah, you bet. Is it empty now?”

“I think so. Hang on, let me call her.” Maria went to get the cordless phone then sat down again. When she finished talking, she smiled at her twin. “She said to come by tomorrow evening so she can meet you and show you the place.”

“Maria, you’re fantastic.” Mario leaned over to hug her. “I sure hope she likes me, likes us.”

“Who likes us?” Wil asked as he bounced into the room closely followed by his cousins.

“A nice lady who might let us rent half her house.”

“Are we moving?” Wil plopped down beside Mario.

“We might. Would you mind?”

Wil shook his head. “But I don’t have to go to a different school do I?”

“Nope, same school because we’re all paid up there ‘til summer.”

“Then we move and no more Jonah.”

Mario nodded. “No more Jonah.” He looked at his sister and mouthed, “I hope.”

No comments:

Post a Comment